Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I live in SF and it has been raining pretty bad for several days. I drove my car out today and I heard water moving in the back of my car. I checked the backed seaks, and they were soaked like a sponge. I checked the trunk but the weird thing was the fabric inside was not wet at all. The only place that had water was in the spare tire, and it was literilly submerged.

I tried looking for the leak by spraying water on my car for awhile and found nothing. The rubber stopping thingys are also in good shape and they seem to be working just fine so I know they don't need to be replaced.I also don't understand how my backseats got wet, or why the top-inside of my trunk stayed dry. Can anyone give me any suggestion where to look and some possible causes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same problem. The water in my car comes inside from a bad seal around the driver's side rear tail light. Check the seals on your lights, they might be done for.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a leak coming from the trim piece around the bottom rear glass. The trim piece has nuts that hold it firm, but mine mere missing (lol i have no nuts boy am I immature) and so they were not sealed. Check this and apply silicone liberally if necessary.

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
could there be other leaks besides in the spare tire compartment? there seems to be water in the driver side feet resting place.....*shrugs*.....could there be water coming in from somewhere or could it be that my shoes get soaked in water and i bring all that with me? i hope thats not too confusing.

S

·
0 Posts
If you have a spoiler you might want to take the plastic hatch peice off that is right under it in the interior and see if your bolts holding your spoiler are screwed in correctely. I had something similar happen and it ended up being spoiler gasket. It took me while to figure out(but living in washington state it did not take to long). Good Luck

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
ya, i pulled out my spare tire yesterday, and i was like WTF? i have a pool in my car? ya, i just dried it out, cause my car is "under construction" (at least thats what the ricers would say)

·
Registered
867 Posts
i took out the rubber stopper things in the tub to drain it. i even had water in the sides where the jack is....both sides. to drain that i had to take out the rubber things in there too. i haven't had a leak since i changed the tail lights seals.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Not that this is likely the problem for the original poster, but the other area that often fails is the wiper assembly seal, where your rear wiper mounts.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
seals that leaked for me: both tails, both rear marker lights, and i have a slight leak from the wing i need to fix...

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
There is also a seal around the key lock cable.
I fixed my right rear tail light with silicone, it was the worst, and still need to do the left one. My trim piece on the back of the hatch would also fill up with water and when I opened the hatch it would pour out. I put silicone at the seam and seems to have fixed that. We've had a couple of rain showers but nothing really hard yet to test it.

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
I need to do that too, everytime I lift open the hatch, water falls from that trim piece like a waterfall.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just do what I do to solve the problem, never let the car get wet ;)

I have never seen one of these cars that didn't leak from the tail lights.

N

·
0 Posts
CSR Ma71 said:
I need to do that too, everytime I lift open the hatch, water falls from that trim piece like a waterfall.
me too, but i dont open my hatch much as it is, its on my list

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I started to take out the whole exterior of my trunk to see where the leak is. Does anyone know any site that can give me some diagram of where the screws are? I can't find the screws that are attached to the speakers in the trunk.

·
I dunno
164 Posts
turbotoy said:

same problem, and i looks like my spoiler seals are shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx everyone for the help. I managed to drain all the water out from the trunk by unpluging the plastic things. The ones below the side turn signals were hell to get out. I decide not to put the plugs back on because it is continuing to ran in SF, and they are just too hard to put back. Does anyone face any problems leaving the holes open? (these are only the ones below the turn signals)

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
turbotoy said:

heeh... my car doesn't leak anywhere in the back trunk, I would know, the back trims arn't there anymore, and btw, thats how I am to, i try to never let the car get wet, unless its a car wash, aight peace and happy new years y'alls

·
Launching in 3...2...1...
480 Posts
This seems to be a rather common problem for these cars. There is so many seals and shit back there that it could be anything. My leak was from the wing. Some genius put on a wing with absolutely NO SEALANT what-so-ever. No rubber, no permatex, no gasket. Back hatch area was sooooo rusted, I worked for 3 days trying to get it to open, than another week cleaning and repainting everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts