Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well times come and i realy wanna get my 94 Red Supra painted Quicksilver, The problem is I really Don't trust a paint shop with pulling my engine and all the mods because i really doubt they know exactly how to put it back in, in perfect working order. The car has 31,000 miles on it and its full BPU with some extra's so it runs damn good. I fear that if i let a shop pull the engine that it will have problems and not work correctly. Anyone have any insight on letting them pull my engine out, should i trust them?

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Well times come and i realy wanna get my 94 Red Supra painted Quicksilver, The problem is I really Don't trust a paint shop with pulling my engine and all the mods because i really doubt they know exactly how to put it back in, in perfect working order. The car has 31,000 miles on it and its full BPU with some extra's so it runs damn good. I fear that if i let a shop pull the engine that it will have problems and not work correctly. Anyone have any insight on letting them pull my engine out, should i trust them?

It all depends on the shop. The guys that paint my cars swapped RB26's on their 240's :) It depends how skilled they are when it comes to wrenching on cars. If you are even asking, I think you should have someone else do it for you. You will sleep better at night lol Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Depends on the shop. Some have mechanic departments and most others dont. Maybe you can find a mechanic shop around the corner from a paint shop......? But no, I wouldn't trust a painter to pull an MKIV motor :D

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
have the motor pulled properly and put back in properly by a well-trusted supra shop. Tow the car to the paint shop. It will be a lot of extra hassle, time and money, but well worth it to have everything done properly. This comment coming from a cheap and poor NA owner who is still running a stock motor because I dont have the money to do it properly yet =X. The mkiv deserves to be worked on properly the first time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
you should ask ryan woon (WOTM) to do the job....he's in tucson, arizona. he's one of the sponsers on the forums. Here's his address:

Wide Open Throttle Motorsports
6470 N. Ventana Canyon Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85750
520-490-5819

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Pull it yourself - it's step by step in the TSM. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I couldn't trust a job like that to a painter that I didn't know, but if you know the guys backround and if hes fully capable you could give it a try.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
SupraFan17 said:
I couldn't trust a job like that to a painter that I didn't know, but if you know the guys backround and if hes fully capable you could give it a try.
exactly... gotta make sure the shop is recommendable and knows what's up with engines! i heard many horror stories about engines getting dropped and bent :( i'd say be there when they do it to make sure they know how to pull it out

·
Registered
594 Posts
SupraFan17 said:
I would personally never let a paint shop touch my motor. I'm actually pulling my motor myself before the car gets painted and will be putting it back in afterwards. It is pretty straightforward and easy to do. Get yourself a toyota supra manaul. It'll be a good experience for you anyways.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Intense Motorsports in Gilbert can help you with this. They're at 240 Sunway Dr just south of Guadalupe. Give them a call and I'm sure they can work something out with you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Intense motorsports is a rip off. Yeah they know what their talking about and kent is a good tuner but damn they charge a shit load!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know someone that would do it for a WAY better price and lives in chandler. Im not sure how busy he is right now but pm me and i will give you his number. He posts on here so maybe he will see this. I would trust him with pulling my motor

·
Registered
226 Posts
turbosupe said:
Intense motorsports is a rip off. Yeah they know what their talking about and kent is a good tuner but damn they charge a shit load!
You are correct sir, they know their stuff and are expensive but many Supra owners trust them with their cars and they have a good track record. I use the expense as an incentive to learn to do stuff on my own if I can. Kent will even show you how to do some of your own maintenance if he has time. Back to the paint job, some will recommend Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe for painting but they're fairly expensive too. I know a fair number of the Supra guys get all their work done there. If you're on the mailing list here in Phoenix, try posting there too and you should get some decent responses there as well. You can also see if Ralph (QK94DAWG) can help you out. He has lots of good contacts. Shoot him a PM and he'll hit you back. Post back if you turn up something good I'm sure a lot of us in Phoenix can use a good deal on painting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Don't trust it:

Pull the motor yourself and install it back in with the TSM. Also make sure you have a good orginization process with your bolts... if you loose some it can be very costly. Cost effective, trust worthy and a good experience. Just my .02.

A.J. :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
SUPRASTITIOUS said:
You can also see if Ralph (QK94DAWG) can help you out. He has lots of good contacts. Shoot him a PM and he'll hit you back.
+1 on that, Ralph is an excellent source of knowledge and does very good work. Highly recommend him to anyone.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
I say give Woon a call, and then tow it to the paint shop, and tow it back to Woon's.

Maybe expensive, but it will be done properly the first time.

·
Asian Sensation
1,209 Posts
Suprasanity said:
+1 on that, Ralph is an excellent source of knowledge and does very good work. Highly recommend him to anyone.
has been the ONLY and last person to touch my car or cars. we talked about him before, he's got plenty of references so no worries there. basically if you want someone who has a good attention for detail and does absolutly clean work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts