Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been searching the web for SupraMania.com using "The Wayback Machine - Internet Archives".

It has been "Saved 343 times between April 1, 2002 and August 11, 2021." August 11 is after the hack. When you do not use a flag to stop it, you will get the new "site down" message, and a very small structure. You'll see how I know :)

Two failed attempts this evening weren't totally unacceptable, but sometimes we learn the hard way.

If you'd like to try, here are some general steps:

Install the Ruby language (I'm using Windows11 64-bit, of course)
Install the tool from here GitHub - hartator/wayback-machine-downloader: Download an entire website from the Wayback Machine.

He's got easy, simple commands and instructions there including the Ruby installation instructions. I had a little diversion there. At the end of the Ruby installation, it gave the option to install another tool in order to use a certain type of extension. It failed, and I went through gyrations to fix it. Ultimately had to manually relate a particular file to be used by Ruby. I don't have the instructions, I just did it. It should be a ten minute exercise for you. You'll either see when you get to it, or you won't get it. I closed the screen where I fixed it. Simple though.

The next command gets everything before the hacked site:

wayback_machine_downloader http://supramania.com --to 20210211055352

This format is the right date format for getting all they've got prior to the hack. The site was hacked on the 8th, but remained accessible until March.

I haven't seen it yet to know what if anything can be done with it. I can't imagine restoring this way as there was bound to be .PHP code that delivered runtime results. From there, who knows what you've got? There is a flag (-a,--all) to get 40X and 50X files and 30X redirects. That may help, but I want to see it this way first.

It seemed like an interesting exercise for a lazy evening :) No doubt I will post more tomorrow. If you beat me to it, or have already done it, let me know. Let's compare notes.

The best chance of restoring the site remains in @Jeff Lange's hands by giving access to the files.

I've been searching Domain Names and found a new extension, and it's available NOW: SupraMania.WTF - $29.(US)

That's it for me tonight. Good night. See you all on the forums.

·
Blue Thunder
3,700 Posts
GOOD LUCK ! I hope you are successful !!!

Reactions: debrucer1

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have been searching the web for SupraMania.com using "The Wayback Machine - Internet Archives".

It has been "Saved 343 times between April 1, 2002 and August 11, 2021." August 11 is after the hack. When you do not use a flag to stop it, you will get the new "site down" message, and a very small structure. You'll see how I know :)

Two failed attempts this evening weren't totally unacceptable, but sometimes we learn the hard way.

If you'd like to try, here are some general steps:

Install the Ruby language (I'm using Windows11 64-bit, of course)
Install the tool from here GitHub - hartator/wayback-machine-downloader: Download an entire website from the Wayback Machine.

He's got easy, simple commands and instructions there including the Ruby installation instructions. I had a little diversion there. At the end of the Ruby installation, it gave the option to install another tool in order to use a certain type of extension. It failed, and I went through gyrations to fix it. Ultimately had to manually relate a particular file to be used by Ruby. I don't have the instructions, I just did it. It should be a ten minute exercise for you. You'll either see when you get to it, or you won't get it. I closed the screen where I fixed it. Simple though.

The next command gets everything before the hacked site:

wayback_machine_downloader http://supramania.com --to 20210211055352

This format is the right date format for getting all they've got prior to the hack. The site was hacked on the 8th, but remained accessible until March.

I haven't seen it yet to know what if anything can be done with it. I can't imagine restoring this way as there was bound to be .PHP code that delivered runtime results. From there, who knows what you've got? There is a flag (-a,--all) to get 40X and 50X files and 30X redirects. That may help, but I want to see it this way first.

It seemed like an interesting exercise for a lazy evening :) No doubt I will post more tomorrow. If you beat me to it, or have already done it, let me know. Let's compare notes.

The best chance of restoring the site remains in @Jeff Lange's hands by giving access to the files.

I've been searching Domain Names and found a new extension, and it's available NOW: SupraMania.WTF - $29.(US)

That's it for me tonight. Good night. See you all on the forums.
The process has run all night and I have pretty much stayed up to watch and play. So far there has been 2.8 GB of data restored to my local disk and the more that is restored, the less missing page errors I am getting. I really did not expect to be getting the PHP files, but they are present... minus of course those on the restricted list like the admin directories that robots cannot scrape. Another big piece missing when done this way is the database, the user's passwords. Last time I checked I had recovered about 2000 users. Still not sure where this is going, and while we have recovered photos in a few different places, there have yet to be any quantity like the number that I know @Jeff Lange spent months recovering. Oddly enough, the front page is still the "site down" message, even though I restricted the crawl to the February 11th date. The hack was the 8th, remember; but the site was available until March. I should have been okay. I have signed up for an account at vBulletin, the forum software channel, but they require a license number to post in their forum. They have a separate site for sales where I can post, but I've held off doing that message. The site is clearly on some increment of version four of their software, but it shows up differently around the site. I will wait until I know more about what we've got here, and then talk to them. I have no plans to buy their current software for $250, but I might spring for a month for $20. That and a $29 website ending in WTF. I mean, seriously, for this site to have been down for six months doesn't seem right; WTF is that about? For offers to help to go unanswered, inexcusable. There must be a reason and it may be as simple as lack of interest. Well, I'm interested in seeing it back, and not interested in running it for the rest of my life. I do get that part. After 20 years, you either still love it, or you don't. If you don't, pass it along. If you do, get it up.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I get it, it is literally a full time job.

I remember when i was a moderator over there. holy hell and a hand basket. so much nonesense to weed out, lots of spammers to curtail all the time. Mind you this was when Mike (SupraCentral) was running it. He was awesome!

It might be that Supramania is the next SOGI mailing list... it's time is up :(

·
Registered
1990 White NA/Blue Interior
68 Posts
The process has run all night and I have pretty much stayed up to watch and play. So far there has been 2.8 GB of data restored to my local disk and the more that is restored, the less missing page errors I am getting. I really did not expect to be getting the PHP files, but they are present... minus of course those on the restricted list like the admin directories that robots cannot scrape. Another big piece missing when done this way is the database, the user's passwords. Last time I checked I had recovered about 2000 users. Still not sure where this is going, and while we have recovered photos in a few different places, there have yet to be any quantity like the number that I know @Jeff Lange spent months recovering. Oddly enough, the front page is still the "site down" message, even though I restricted the crawl to the February 11th date. The hack was the 8th, remember; but the site was available until March. I should have been okay. I have signed up for an account at vBulletin, the forum software channel, but they require a license number to post in their forum. They have a separate site for sales where I can post, but I've held off doing that message. The site is clearly on some increment of version four of their software, but it shows up differently around the site. I will wait until I know more about what we've got here, and then talk to them. I have no plans to buy their current software for $250, but I might spring for a month for $20. That and a $29 website ending in WTF. I mean, seriously, for this site to have been down for six months doesn't seem right; WTF is that about? For offers to help to go unanswered, inexcusable. There must be a reason and it may be as simple as lack of interest. Well, I'm interested in seeing it back, and not interested in running it for the rest of my life. I do get that part. After 20 years, you either still love it, or you don't. If you don't, pass it along. If you do, get it up.
If you want to get serious about the recovery, I am happy to jump in with you. We can spin up a github repo to track work. I imagine we can build a script to convert post data into objects for db rebuild. We would just need to dig into a vbulletin schema and map it out. If the user emails are available, we can just let people reset their passwords in a new site. Any existing passwords have been compromised anyhow, so even if we had that data it would need to be reset.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Close to 3 GB downloaded and enough files are in place that I am able to logon to the real SupraMania.com site. Here's a screenshot showing me there...
Photograph Ecoregion Light Product Font

I am on, but cannot navigate away, but it implies that I have hit the database where presumably my password is stored and has been validated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to get serious about the recovery, I am happy to jump in with you. We can spin up a github repo to track work. I imagine we can build a script to convert post data into objects for db rebuild. We would just need to dig into a vbulletin schema and map it out. If the user emails are available, we can just let people reset their passwords in a new site. Any existing passwords have been compromised anyhow, so even if we had that data it would need to be reset.
Thanks for the offer. I certainly may take you up on it. Let me finish the download and see where we are in the process. The idea thing would be to gain access to the real site and fill in the missing pieces from here. Don't know if that can be done, but, yes, there's a lot of good information out there.

·
Registered
1990 White NA/Blue Interior
68 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I certainly may take you up on it. Let me finish the download and see where we are in the process. The idea thing would be to gain access to the real site and fill in the missing pieces from here. Don't know if that can be done, but, yes, there's a lot of good information out there.
Like you mentioned before...everything I have seen on facebook is the owner just completely ignoring everyone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get it, it is literally a full time job.

I remember when i was a moderator over there. holy hell and a hand basket. so much nonesense to weed out, lots of spammers to curtail all the time. Mind you this was when Mike (SupraCentral) was running it. He was awesome!

It might be that Supramania is the next SOGI mailing list... it's time is up :(
I don't want the job. I only took this as a challenge because my requests to help were ignored. I found some SOGI links in this download and navigated to the site, but never was there before so didn't know what I was looking at... I left quickly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There's a ton of good data there. I think it was mkiiitech back in the day also had a ton of good data.
I found links to that in my download, too. SOGI was the other one. So if these sites are dead and gone, perhaps they too can be recovered. I'm not going to undertake it, but for someone with a reason to do so, this might be useful information for them.

I've heard it said that once it's on the internet, it's there forever. This has been an interesting experience... and it's got a chance of being successful.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
I'd be happy with just a navigable site backup.
I don't see a reason (at least yet) to bring it back in fully functioning form to login and continue posting again.
Jeff would probably be the only one to pull that off anyway. (If he was able to get anything with his backups)

I'd be happy with a historical backup to get back all the invaluable threads and information.
Likely I would re-create a lot of mine again on this Forum.
There are hundreds of hours from just posts by me alone I would like to revive.
Thousands of hours of work and research by others as well.
Would be a shame to loose all that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be happy with just a navigable site backup.
I don't see a reason (at least yet) to bring it back in fully functioning form to login and continue posting again.
Jeff would probably be the only one to pull that off anyway. (If he was able to get anything with his backups)

I'd be happy with a historical backup to get back all the invaluable threads and information.
Likely I would re-create a lot of mine again on this Forum.
There are hundreds of hours from just posts by me alone I would like to revive.
Thousands of hours of work and research by others as well.
Would be a shame to loose all that.
I think the fact that I’ve logged on to the real site with the help of my downloaded files means the database is in order because it validated my password and let me on. The other missing piece is the admin folder that is blocked to robots. The Wayback Machine obviously did not get them. I too would be happy with a static site and if it were addressable from SupraForums so much the better. I hate to see all that info go and just as I’m starting to need more of it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like you mentioned before...everything I have seen on facebook is the owner just completely ignoring everyone.
Yes. But he still responds to FB posts and he clearly knows his shit. I’ve been progressively more critical of him this past week, but no responses pushed me a bit. My apologies if I’ve been rude @Jeff Lange, but it’s time to fix this if possible. I think I can do it. Please, access to the files.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Download completed in approximately 20 hours:

Font Circle Darkness Pattern Number

I prolly won't look at it again until tomorrow. Not much sleep while this has been going on. Turned out too interesting to follow and play with while downloading. Conversation initiated with the admins and owners of the data to see how they'd like to go forward.

Would not hurt to express your opinions here, too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We need the following files that the scraper was not allowed to grab:

Disallow:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /forums/admincp/
Disallow: /forums/clientscript/
Disallow: /forums/cpstyles/
Disallow: /forums/customavatars/
Disallow: /forums/customprofilepics/
Disallow: /forums/images/
Disallow: /forums/modcp/
Disallow: /forums/ajax.php
Disallow: /forums/attachment.php
Disallow: /forums/calendar.php
Disallow: /forums/cron.php
Disallow: /forums/editpost.php
Disallow: /forums/global.php
Disallow: /forums/image.php
Disallow: /forums/inlinemod.php
Disallow: /forums/joinrequests.php
Disallow: /forums/login.php
Disallow: /forums/member.php
Disallow: /forums/memberlist.php
Disallow: /forums/misc.php
Disallow: /forums/moderator.php
Disallow: /forums/newattachment.php
Disallow: /forums/newreply.php
Disallow: /forums/newthread.php
Disallow: /forums/online.php
Disallow: /forums/poll.php
Disallow: /forums/postings.php
Disallow: /forums/printthread.php
Disallow: /forums/private.php
Disallow: /forums/profile.php
Disallow: /forums/register.php
Disallow: /forums/report.php
Disallow: /forums/reputation.php
Disallow: /forums/search.php
Disallow: /forums/sendmessage.php
Disallow: /forums/showgroups.php
Disallow: /forums/subscription.php
Disallow: /forums/threadrate.php
Disallow: /forums/usercp.php
Disallow: /forums/usernote.php

And then we need the database specifically with user's passwords, and hopefully one of these two locations will have the photos. Work is still required on the index files, not all, but probably most. It seems pretty understandable.

These files are automatically backed up weekly to AWS with my normal backup routine. I will probably also put them in a bucket where the five of you can view and play with them... without a new domain purchase.

If you already know what you need, I see that your software is not a private label, although I've forgotten the name already. I played here longer than expected. Got to sleep a bit. Back after 8 PM PDT today for a few minutes.

David

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what's the tl;dr on SupraMania? It got hacked and it all went to pot?
The work to fix the PhotoBucket links successfully restored 10,000 or so files, but broke the backups which weren't tested for some while. It was hacked and the board down message has been up since March. People have given up on it and we're just trying to preserve some of the important stuff. An unfortunate mistake and no communication since.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Appreciate the effort. I jumped back into the game here this summer, bought an 88 and a 92 shell. Was bummed to see Supramania had gone down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Appreciate the effort. I jumped back into the game here this summer, bought an 88 and a 92 shell. Was bummed to see Supramania had gone down.
Thank you. Welcome back. I never realized how big SF was compared to SM. 8500 members to 2000 members. A lot more going on here for a wider range of Supra’s.

I will try to keep this thread updated with the ongoing status, but the direction and final presentation are in SF’s hands now. They need to tell me what needs to be done to make things available.

We also still need a couple of pieces no matter which way we go. It took 20 hours to get it extracted from the wayback machine and resides on my local disk. It looks like another 20 to get to an AWS S3 bucket. Then my weekly backups will save for another 20 hours.

it’s cheap to upload and store, then costly to download, so I’m hoping that won’t happen too much on my dime :)

Here’s hoping we have a disposition soon. Those conversations are taking place with SF’s parent company now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts