Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have had this Supra for about 8 months now, and just recently changed over the title LOL! Anyways am the very proud owner of a 1989 Targa automatic with LOTS of miles on it, and I'll be darn if I let anyone talk negative about it. Sure it has little issues here and there, but I saved up the cash and bought this baby, my first car I bought for myself. It's a good feeling to say that the first car you bought is a Supra, being that I have wanted one since I found out about them. Anywho I have put myself in a healthy amount of debt replacing the engine for a JDM one, along with the transmission. With that the engine components such as oil pan, filters etc etc were replaced with new ones, so I am not too worried about that, just wondering what else I should be looking to replace beside suspension? Any help or suggestions will do. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Head tourqued to atleast 75 ft/lbs . . and how tight is you steering, my car has 150000 on it and the steering is loose as a goose, but I am going to be fixxing that soon it is not a good problem to have? Look to stopp all rust you can find immidiatly (cheack the spare well). And tell everyone here it is a turbo.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning on replacing the HG with a MHG 1.2mm. Hopefully I can get the head torqued or whatever that means. Sorry still learning the lingo. The steering on my car is very solid. As far as rust, where all should I look, I checked the spare well while doing a major cleaning of the car and there was no rust, just spots where paint has chipped. As far as it being an NA I really don't mind. I would like a turbo, but I am not going to be building a 600hp rocket. Basically I want to restore it to its natural state and some minor upgrades. Where I live the only thing people do is admire cars not really race and many don't want to race because they think I will win;) Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am nowhere near Houston though my roomates are from there. There aren't any leaks in the car that I am aware of, but thanks I will take a look. Again thanks for the help guys.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
i dont know if your suppose to retorque the head on a oem hg, but if you do, make sure you knock the bolts back a bit so you can get a proper torque reading, but be careful. It feels good when you first buy your car, or when you buy anything and you can actuall say i bought it by myself, it makes you feel more mature, and what you would normally do say in a car your parents bought you, you wouldnt do in this, becasue you bought it with your own money, and theres no way in hell your going to take the chance to screw it up. if your getting a mhg, make sure the block is not warped and is smooth. use arp head bolts/studs what ever you choose to make sure you keep the mhg and the head together to the block. For rust, i always check the wheel wells in that area. not just in a supra, but any older car. the trunk you might want to check, might not be any there, but just give it a once over. Make sure you take care of those targa seals. there pretty damn expensive to replace. Well, good luck with your supra, HTH

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
toyota_supra_1988 said:
if your getting a mhg, make sure the block is not warped and is smooth. use arp head bolts/studs what ever you choose to make sure you keep the mhg and the head together to the block.

On the part about making sure that it is no warped, he means take the head and block to a machine shop and have them both laped, no screwing around here. Do it right once, and you will never have to do it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts