Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my names triz

I’m looking to buy a 1989 Toyota Supra turbo 155k (automatic..... I know I know, but I can’t find a 5 speed not even N/A my plan is to do a 5 speed swap myself)

I was hoping for some help I don’t exactly know what I should be looking for, and I was hoping you guys could help me out a little, or tell me to not get the turbo with so many miles lol or say that it’s a great motor and will to last with a turbo

I know everyone will say hold out for a 5 speed lol

If you guys could help me out and let me know where to look and what to look for when buying a used mk3 is appreciate you guys!

Thanks! I hope it works out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don’t get me wrong I think it’s an amazing car and I love them that’s why I say stupid price lol cause I want to own it not cause I think it’s a stupid car 😂😂

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
Really wish I could, but all the 5 speed supras are NA and over $10k
Patience, my friend. Patience.

Get what you want from the start. A clean trans swap is not cheap. Good R154's are pricey now and collecting all the needed odds and ends will be painful. Just buy what you want upfront.

*I'll add: I W58 swapped the 88 turbo I owned so I've been through that. If you can find a junkyard car with a good trans, it can be an easy job. Chances of you finding a complete R154 car in a junkyard today are essentially zero. I did the swap 10 years ago. It's a different world today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I don’t have the $8700 that some people are asking unfortunately, I wish I could,

I found a R154 trans local here was the info that was on the add, wasn’t Much, I honestly need a project to just clean up and do a swap and keep myself busy

Came out of 1989 Mk3 Toyota Supra.
With clutch pedal, fork, shifter, slave master.
7mgte bell housing still on there”

what else would I need just a Drive shaft?

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
Yeah I don’t have the $8700 that some people are asking unfortunately, I wish I could,

I found a R154 trans local here was the info that was on the add, wasn’t Much, I honestly need a project to just clean up and do a swap and keep myself busy

Came out of 1989 Mk3 Toyota Supra.
With clutch pedal, fork, shifter, slave master.
7mgte bell housing still on there”

what else would I need just a Drive shaft?
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, flywheel bolts, clutch lines, brake pedal, driveshaft.

If you want a project then anything's fine. I'd just caution that these are no longer a cheap project car like they once were. Prices for many OEM parts have doubled... or tripled.... or gone up 5x. What used to be a quick junkyard trip might now be 6 months of facebook marketplace stalking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you! That dosent seem to bad I found a R154 locally for 700$ so I think I’m goi by to pick that up and start to buy the odds and ends, I just want a supra and want to make it my own I understand it’s not cost effective but I love this sorta thing,

so I’m reading somewhere that 1989 Supra turbo automatic Drive shaft will work with a R154 swap? Is that wrong

I’ve looked into buying a new driveshaft and that’s what the place is telling me, I’m not sure if I trust that, they said $400 for a custom made one piece I’ve had them build my Toyota Tacoma’s 4x4 rock crawler drive shaft but I’m sure you guys know a lot more than most,

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
thank you! That dosent seem to bad I found a R154 locally for 700$ so I think I’m goi by to pick that up and start to buy the odds and ends, I just want a supra and want to make it my own I understand it’s not cost effective but I love this sorta thing,

so I’m reading somewhere that 1989 Supra turbo automatic Drive shaft will work with a R154 swap? Is that wrong

I’ve looked into buying a new driveshaft and that’s what the place is telling me, I’m not sure if I trust that, they said $400 for a custom made one piece I’ve had them build my Toyota Tacoma’s 4x4 rock crawler drive shaft but I’m sure you guys know a lot more than most,
Sounds like you're ok diving into the unknown so a mk3 project may suit you just right! :)

I can't answer the R154 A430 similarities, but I'd just look up aftermarket driveshafts from driveshaft shop and others. If they list different items for each, chances are they're not common. You can also check ToyoDIY or Cygnus to verify Toyota part numbers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A supra suits me
Sounds like you're ok diving into the unknown so a mk3 project may suit you just right! :)

I can't answer the R154 A430 similarities, but I'd just look up aftermarket driveshafts from driveshaft shop and others. If they list different items for each, chances are they're not common. You can also check ToyoDIY or Cygnus to verify Toyota part numbers.
I have a truck and ride my motorcycle to work this car is a pure project for me to make somthing fast and fun, I first just want a 5 speed swap and maybe I’ll shim the oil pump if I can do it with motor in the car, while transmission is out of the car

it dosent seem to me that I’ll need a different drive shaft 🤔 only time will tell

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, flywheel bolts, clutch lines, brake pedal, driveshaft.

If you want a project then anything's fine. I'd just caution that these are no longer a cheap project car like they once were. Prices for many OEM parts have doubled... or tripled.... or gone up 5x. What used to be a quick junkyard trip might now be 6 months of facebook marketplace stalking.
Well I bought my supra a 1989 turbo automatic, I’m buying pieces I need now to have it swapped, doing it myself will be a great project,

just wanted to ask you a question before I started a build thread. So I need a break peddle as well? Those are expensive lol since I already have the clutch peddle it’d help the budget if I didn’t need the clutch and break together but understand you guys know much better than me lol

I’m having a little issue with the car shaking over 75

I havent had time to take it apart and look it over just bought it last night and took it to the shop where I road my motorcycle home, going tomorrow to check everything out and make a check list, I’m hoping it’s just a CV axle with the vibration issue, the engine and transmission are very solid, all stock never been taken apart, Toyota did the head gasket I think about 40k miles ago

·
Registered
634 Posts
picked up the supra --nice Triz

the first part of the driveshaft, the yolk that inserts into the transmission is the same between a340e and r154. as for the rest of the driveshaft I am unsure.

nothing wrong with that a340 auto by the way (unless you intend to row the gears....) with a $1000 custom converter and some valve body mods (springs, accumulators) it can hold a lot of power (500whp) and rip in a straight line.

really depends on how you like to use the car.

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
Well I bought my supra a 1989 turbo automatic, I’m buying pieces I need now to have it swapped, doing it myself will be a great project,

just wanted to ask you a question before I started a build thread. So I need a break peddle as well? Those are expensive lol since I already have the clutch peddle it’d help the budget if I didn’t need the clutch and break together but understand you guys know much better than me lol

I’m having a little issue with the car shaking over 75

I havent had time to take it apart and look it over just bought it last night and took it to the shop where I road my motorcycle home, going tomorrow to check everything out and make a check list, I’m hoping it’s just a CV axle with the vibration issue, the engine and transmission are very solid, all stock never been taken apart, Toyota did the head gasket I think about 40k miles ago
You could just cut the auto brake pedal. Doing it "right" would mean getting an actual manual brake pedal, but you could do it on the cheap and just cut the auto pedal.

If budget is a concern, though, I wouldn't do all that manual trans swap work until you work on other things in the car. I'm sure it'll need a lot of work. ;)

picked up the supra --nice Triz

the first part of the driveshaft, the yolk that inserts into the transmission is the same between a340e and r154. as for the rest of the driveshaft I am unsure.

nothing wrong with that a340 auto by the way (unless you intend to row the gears....) with a $1000 custom converter and some valve body mods (springs, accumulators) it can hold a lot of power (500whp) and rip in a straight line.

really depends on how you like to use the car.
For the brief period I had my 88 with an auto, I did enjoy the constant boost. Not having to let off gas to shift meant smooooooth power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You could just cut the auto brake pedal. Doing it "right" would mean getting an actual manual brake pedal, but you could do it on the cheap and just cut the auto pedal.

If budget is a concern, though, I wouldn't do all that manual trans swap work until you work on other things in the car. I'm sure it'll need a lot of work. ;)

For the brief period I had my 88 with an auto, I did enjoy the constant boost. Not having to let off gas to shift meant smooooooth power.
Yeah lol it dose need some work I’m going to do before I do a manual swap, it’s running great, it needs tires BAD and it needs a knock sensor replacement, so I’m planning on trying to replace the wiring I ordered some RB6 cable that should be here today and I’ll lady to knock that out tonight,

any tips? Im planning on re using the original knock sensor clips I was going to cut the connectors and crimp the RB6 cable to it and run to ECU for ground, then I believe this is what confused me, then I need to take the cable insulation and crimp that to another ground wire that I believe runs inside to grounds inside the engine bay, on the ECUs side I’m planning on making a full YouTube video of this, I can’t find anything, other than explanations after it’s already been wired correctly

The car dosent need to much work it needs paint tires and honestly not much more the cars head gasket was done back in 02 about 40,000 miles ago, by Toyota of Norwalk it runs smooth, just needs to be cleaned up like taking the shitty old sun baked tint off the back window,

once I fix theknock sensors I’ll change the transmission fluid and filter, as well as oil and Ill have to find out if I want to paint it before I do a manual swap,

plan is to collect all the manual parts needed to swap To manual transmission and I’ll do it when it’s been dialed in, and probably before paint but I can’t leave it alone I’m probably going to sand And prime it, wait for paint till the swap is done, honestly it’s all up in the air
After xmas work will slow down and I’ll be focused on the car more

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
I replaced the entire harness on my 90 and part of that was new knock cables. You just need to replicate the factory wiring. There's a ground and a signal. The ground is the shield of the coax.

Probably worth reading up here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=49

Make sure you mimic the wiring in that diagram. You want that ground signal to be what Toyota had in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the entire harness on my 90 and part of that was new knock cables. You just need to replicate the factory wiring. There's a ground and a signal. The ground is the shield of the coax.

Probably worth reading up here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=49

Make sure you mimic the wiring in that diagram. You want that ground signal to be what Toyota had in mind.
Thanks! It’s been so long since I’ve had to look at a blueprint lol I actually got certified back in the day to read blueprints, looking at that now I’m totally clueless 😂😂😂 I think I’m figuring it out where the W Where the knock sensors are coming from goes to the ECU ground, and the coax is the ground, that’s very helpful thank you!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct me if I’m wrong it looks like the coax from the cable will be ran to the air flow ground to be tied in, I will look for that when I get home,

I’m an electrician for the movie industry so wiring isn’t that complicated to me but when I see people on YouTube do it differently and rear three write ups that all did it differently it’s really confuses you lol

I appreciate you guys so much!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts