Supra Forums banner

Trying to buy a MKIII

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  suprarx7nut 
#1 ·
Hey guys my names triz

I’m looking to buy a 1989 Toyota Supra turbo 155k (automatic..... I know I know, but I can’t find a 5 speed not even N/A my plan is to do a 5 speed swap myself)

I was hoping for some help I don’t exactly know what I should be looking for, and I was hoping you guys could help me out a little, or tell me to not get the turbo with so many miles lol or say that it’s a great motor and will to last with a turbo

I know everyone will say hold out for a 5 speed lol

If you guys could help me out and let me know where to look and what to look for when buying a used mk3 is appreciate you guys!

Thanks! I hope it works out

#8 ·
Yeah I don’t have the $8700 that some people are asking unfortunately, I wish I could,

I found a R154 trans local here was the info that was on the add, wasn’t Much, I honestly need a project to just clean up and do a swap and keep myself busy

Came out of 1989 Mk3 Toyota Supra.
With clutch pedal, fork, shifter, slave master.
7mgte bell housing still on there”

what else would I need just a Drive shaft?

#9 ·
Yeah I don’t have the $8700 that some people are asking unfortunately, I wish I could,

I found a R154 trans local here was the info that was on the add, wasn’t Much, I honestly need a project to just clean up and do a swap and keep myself busy

Came out of 1989 Mk3 Toyota Supra.
With clutch pedal, fork, shifter, slave master.
7mgte bell housing still on there”

what else would I need just a Drive shaft?
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, flywheel bolts, clutch lines, brake pedal, driveshaft.

If you want a project then anything's fine. I'd just caution that these are no longer a cheap project car like they once were. Prices for many OEM parts have doubled... or tripled.... or gone up 5x. What used to be a quick junkyard trip might now be 6 months of facebook marketplace stalking.

#10 ·
thank you! That dosent seem to bad I found a R154 locally for 700$ so I think I’m goi by to pick that up and start to buy the odds and ends, I just want a supra and want to make it my own I understand it’s not cost effective but I love this sorta thing,

so I’m reading somewhere that 1989 Supra turbo automatic Drive shaft will work with a R154 swap? Is that wrong

I’ve looked into buying a new driveshaft and that’s what the place is telling me, I’m not sure if I trust that, they said $400 for a custom made one piece I’ve had them build my Toyota Tacoma’s 4x4 rock crawler drive shaft but I’m sure you guys know a lot more than most,

#12 ·
thank you! That dosent seem to bad I found a R154 locally for 700$ so I think I’m goi by to pick that up and start to buy the odds and ends, I just want a supra and want to make it my own I understand it’s not cost effective but I love this sorta thing,

so I’m reading somewhere that 1989 Supra turbo automatic Drive shaft will work with a R154 swap? Is that wrong

I’ve looked into buying a new driveshaft and that’s what the place is telling me, I’m not sure if I trust that, they said $400 for a custom made one piece I’ve had them build my Toyota Tacoma’s 4x4 rock crawler drive shaft but I’m sure you guys know a lot more than most,
Sounds like you're ok diving into the unknown so a mk3 project may suit you just right! :)

I can't answer the R154 A430 similarities, but I'd just look up aftermarket driveshafts from driveshaft shop and others. If they list different items for each, chances are they're not common. You can also check ToyoDIY or Cygnus to verify Toyota part numbers.

#15 ·
picked up the supra --nice Triz

the first part of the driveshaft, the yolk that inserts into the transmission is the same between a340e and r154. as for the rest of the driveshaft I am unsure.

nothing wrong with that a340 auto by the way (unless you intend to row the gears....) with a $1000 custom converter and some valve body mods (springs, accumulators) it can hold a lot of power (500whp) and rip in a straight line.

really depends on how you like to use the car.

#18 ·
I replaced the entire harness on my 90 and part of that was new knock cables. You just need to replicate the factory wiring. There's a ground and a signal. The ground is the shield of the coax.

Probably worth reading up here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=49

Make sure you mimic the wiring in that diagram. You want that ground signal to be what Toyota had in mind.

#19 ·
Thanks! It’s been so long since I’ve had to look at a blueprint lol I actually got certified back in the day to read blueprints, looking at that now I’m totally clueless ??? I think I’m figuring it out where the W Where the knock sensors are coming from goes to the ECU ground, and the coax is the ground, that’s very helpful thank you!!!

#20 ·
Correct me if I’m wrong it looks like the coax from the cable will be ran to the air flow ground to be tied in, I will look for that when I get home,

I’m an electrician for the movie industry so wiring isn’t that complicated to me but when I see people on YouTube do it differently and rear three write ups that all did it differently it’s really confuses you lol

I appreciate you guys so much!!

#21 ·
Correct me if I’m wrong it looks like the coax from the cable will be ran to the air flow ground to be tied in, I will look for that when I get home,

I’m an electrician for the movie industry so wiring isn’t that complicated to me but when I see people on YouTube do it differently and rear three write ups that all did it differently it’s really confuses you lol

I appreciate you guys so much!!
The ground for the shielding of the knock sensors goes to ground point "B" and is the intake manifold ground. It should be bolted to the underside of the intake. Kinda hard to see with the motor in the car, but you can see it at the right angle with a flashlight.

If you scroll back a couple pages in the EWD you can see what else ties into that ground. I think it's mostly sensor grounds. It was working a minute ago, but now isn't loading for me.

*edit it's live again: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=149

To be clear, the ground for the knock sensor is the sensor body itself. The ground for the shield is just to keep the shield nice and clean so the signal doesn't get any significant EMI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.