Supra Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong it looks like the coax from the cable will be ran to the air flow ground to be tied in, I will look for that when I get home,

I’m an electrician for the movie industry so wiring isn’t that complicated to me but when I see people on YouTube do it differently and rear three write ups that all did it differently it’s really confuses you lol

I appreciate you guys so much!!
The ground for the shielding of the knock sensors goes to ground point "B" and is the intake manifold ground. It should be bolted to the underside of the intake. Kinda hard to see with the motor in the car, but you can see it at the right angle with a flashlight.

If you scroll back a couple pages in the EWD you can see what else ties into that ground. I think it's mostly sensor grounds. It was working a minute ago, but now isn't loading for me.

*edit it's live again: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=149

To be clear, the ground for the knock sensor is the sensor body itself. The ground for the shield is just to keep the shield nice and clean so the signal doesn't get any significant EMI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The ground for the shielding of the knock sensors goes to ground point "B" and is the intake manifold ground. It should be bolted to the underside of the intake. Kinda hard to see with the motor in the car, but you can see it at the right angle with a flashlight.

If you scroll back a couple pages in the EWD you can see what else ties into that ground. I think it's mostly sensor grounds. It was working a minute ago, but now isn't loading for me.

*edit it's live again: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=149

To be clear, the ground for the knock sensor is the sensor body itself. The ground for the shield is just to keep the shield nice and clean so the signal doesn't get any significant EMI.
Gosh I feel like I just got confused again, this guy on YouTube is killing me I can’t listen to the videos anymore lol

so am I just grounding the wire to the ECU, Or am I running the RB6 cable to the ecu and I have to find the right wire To patch into,

I just have to ground the Coax for the EMi I understand that now thank you!
That website is incredibly helpful thank you,

Where did you buy your wire harness? That’s a great idea if it turns out as I dive more into this and its worn out

·
YotaMD.com author
720 Posts
Gosh I feel like I just got confused again, this guy on YouTube is killing me I can’t listen to the videos anymore lol

so am I just grounding the wire to the ECU, Or am I running the RB6 cable to the ecu and I have to find the right wire To patch into,

I just have to ground the Coax for the EMi I understand that now thank you!
That website is incredibly helpful thank you,

Where did you buy your wire harness? That’s a great idea if it turns out as I dive more into this and its worn out
Look at this page: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=47

The ECU grounds all join at ground point B, eventually. From the factory, the harness joins the shield into that ground point at a 3-way junction to a brown wire (E1 of the check connector). I think you'd be fine with any ground wire that shares that ground point "B" node. I wouldn't fret it. I don't remember where I terminated mine.

If we were building a satellite I would worry about which ground wire you used and if there was any small EMI source nearby from another sensor or coil or something. In this application I think you're fine. You'll see old threads of knock sensor woes, but I think those were mostly people with trashed harnesses and/or little clue about wiring. I think you'll be fine.

I built a harness almost 10 years ago from scratch. I bought the tefzel mil-spec wire from an aircraft supply website. No idea where I got the coax cable. Making that harness was a real chore.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts