Supra Forums banner

Which Alternator?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so after the last lil problem I had, I cleaned up and checked everything out, fixed all my leaks and changed my fluids and she is running good better then before lol cuz I really tried to take the time to fix a bunch of stuff that was wrong with it. Anyways my alt has gone out and I am trying to decide if the hassle of the mr-2 alt is worth the extra 20 amps. So vote and lemme know. I have an 88 turbo so I believe my alt has the wrong size shaft for the mr2 alt so the pulley wont swap unless I get an 89+ supra shaft or take it to an alt shop? If this is the case I am questioning wether it is worth it to me. I'd like to get a high output alt but it seems theres only 1 and its around 500 bucks?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
looks like it is pretty much unanimous that I should diaf cool thanks.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
lol, i think you were asking for that one puttin it as an option...

dont all you have to do is change the pully on the mr2 alt to get it to work?

T

·
0 Posts
I had to stop and throw in another diaf vote, just to make you feel better....LOL

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Depends what you're looking for. Why do you want the higher output alternator?

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
it took me 10 bucks to get the guy at a local machine shop to bore out the inner diameter of my Supra pulley to fit the MR2 alternator shaft and he did it while I waited in less than 15 mins. The hardest part was getting the oil hose from the valve cover to the block out of the way. BTW, the MR2 unit is more than 20 amps over what the stock Supra unit puts out peak. Spending 500+ on an upgrade is rediculous. Any real alternator upgrade would have an external regulator anyway, but the common stereo/performance versions never do.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
The highest amperage alternator the MR2 had from the factory was 100A, used from 90-01/92, and only in some cars. A 70A, 80A, and 90A were also used depending on month/year/options. (USA cars without Power Steering had 70A units, Canada cars without power steering had 80A units, cars with power steering had 100A units until 01/92, after that cars with power steering had 90A units).

The MK3 has either a 70A or 80A unit again depending on options. (N/A's have 70A units, early 87 Turbos had 70A units, mid-87-92 Turbos had 80A units).

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Turkish

DIAF!! ;)

if you can actually source the 100a Alt. Go for it. Always nice to have overhead. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts