Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tired searching a bit.. but searching the word piston make it a needle in a haystack

i'm rebuilding my 7mgte for the frist time.. its a pretty fresh engine only around 50,000km's on it. imported it about a two years ago.

i'm looking to put some good pistons in it.. and was thinking ross or je. but then i heard about the problems with piston slap with je.

so my question to all of you is.. what is the best. and where can i get them for a good price?

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,911 Posts
Piston slap is only because the machinist over bored the block too much. Thinkabout it piston slap is th piston moveing around in the bore before the engine warms. How can this happen...take it too a poor machinist and over bore it too much. Je reccomends .004 of an over bore which will not slap if bored correctly!. Either will do; however ross reccomends .006 of and inch.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
the stock pistons are good to like 5 or 600 horsepower right?

are you shooting for more than that? Why else would you want stronger (ross, je) pistons?

^ not being a smart ass, honest question as i plan to rebuild a JDM GTE soon

·
7m power
1,059 Posts
Justin said:

are you shooting for more than that? Why else would you want stronger (ross, je) pistons?

yea but for how long?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Justin said:

i'm shooting for 550whp.. and the stock pistons wont last long with that

***edit***

this is my first rebuild ever.. on an engine. lol

so if you guys have any other tips or what to look out for or how to websites that would kick ass

(and for those about to post saying don't do it if you don't know what your doing.. i have to learn some time.. and i would rather fuck it up myself and learn from it, then pay 3k+ to some one to do it for me :)

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Ive got Ross pistons. I went with Ross for 2 reasons: 1 - they are way cheaper than anything else and 2- they are way cheaper than anything else. HAHA.

But foreal, Ive heard of several high horsepower Mustang guys running Ross pistons, so I figured Id try. I got em really cheap, $489 with rings, a couple years ago from www.importperformanceparts.net. I think they are around $549 now, which is still cheaper than any other brand. Ive heard that this place has become a lil shady now, but I had no probs with them when I ordered my stuff.

Like mentioned above, if the machining is done right, you shouldnt have any probs with either brand. Ive heard good things about Ross, JE, Wiseco, almost all the brands of forged pistons, its jus a matter of preference. I think the JE's are a tad bit lighter than the Ross, I dunno.

Goodluck with the rebuild, keep us updated. Dont be afraid to ask for help, lot of guys here know their stuff, helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm not certain that the stock pistons won't hold at that level. Unless you intend on driving around at full throttle all the time... ;) However, if you have the resouces to put in new pistons, by all means, go for it.

JE pistons rock. Ross work well too - oddly, I've heard more complaints of piston slap on Ross pistons than JE. Likely from the extra bore clearance they suggest.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i got a set of wiseco pistons over a year ago for my supra and they didnt even make them for the 7m at the time how did i pull that one off ??? are they good ???

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
supraboostin said:
yea but for how long?
Jonez is on pure OEM internals and claims to be running over 500 hp for over three years. I still believe that many people say they are going to run 500 + hp on the street as it is just a "cool" number to throw out there but many rarely achieve that number. I have not built a Supra with that kind of power but I did have an 11.3 sec camero, and I can tell you that horspower over 450 on the street is crazy power that can get you in trouble in a hurry. If the stocks will hold 450 why bother with forged. Forged won't last as long if this is a daily driver and will probably need replaced in two or three years depending on how much you drive the car. If you do achieve 550 + hp then hold on, you are in for a hell-of-a-scary-ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
csnow said:
Jonez is on pure OEM internals and claims to be running over 500 hp for over three years. I still believe that many people say they are going to run 500 + hp on the street as it is just a "cool" number to throw out there but many rarely achieve that number. I have not built a Supra with that kind of power but I did have an 11.3 sec camero, and I can tell you that horspower over 450 on the street is crazy power that can get you in trouble in a hurry. If the stocks will hold 450 why bother with forged. Forged won't last as long if this is a daily driver and will probably need replaced in two or three years depending on how much you drive the car. If you do achieve 550 + hp then hold on, you are in for a hell-of-a-scary-ride.

kinda hoping for that hell-of-a-scary-ride lol
i got everything around the engine taken care of.. all i need is the internals. which is going in, in the rebuild.
even found a guy to make me a custom clutch for a good price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts