Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I finally have money to fix everything on my car (I think lol) And i've found someone to do the labor... finally.. BUT.. I want to know if i'm replacing the correct thing..

When my car is sitting out of gear at an idle you can hear a squeeking noise and it like you can hear something spinning..almost like a metal part not lubed up spinning agenst more metal.. I replaced the throwout bearing when I put in my HPF 6 puc sprung clutch with RPS pp.. which was a few months ago.. before replacing it I just heard the spinning noise... it stopped for a bit after the install.. now it's back and it's getting worse.. like the squeeking started.. and it keeps getting louder.. and nothing is worse than a good looking car making all kinds of noises.
When I push the clutch pedal in it goes away...

And clues?? Make it stop!!!!!
I need to replace the rear main seal too.. but before I do this I want to figure out what is up with the tranny since it has to be pulled anyways.. And I wanted to get this all done and over with by the end of the freakin week!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Replace the throw-out bearing and release bearing and rear-main seal

Is your supra a TT? I know the 6-speeds do have a little noise to them that is normal. Is your flywheel stock?? How many miles on the rest of the car?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
123k miles
n/a

Yea my dad said to just get the bearing and if I don't need it to send it back..

Seems to me thats the only part that could make that noise.. I've heard even the toyota ones have been known to be faulty

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
wouldnt the throw bearing (thrust bearing?) only make a noise when the clutch in is? doesnt this sound more like a gearbox bearing? when the clutch is released, out of gear, it makes the noise rite?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the guy I brought my car to before because he's the master of toyotas..
he said pilot bearing or input shaft bearing.
He can't get to it for a few weeks..

but he said if it's just the pilot bearing he'd do it and the rear main for about $275ish.. which is the best price yet..

Think the car will be ok running like this? and even going down the track a few times?? just screwing around.. it's running like a cow anyways...but I still like to play..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is it a stock flywheel? If so it might just be the noise of using a sprung hub with the stock flywheel. If you pull the tranny you might aswell replace pilot and throwout bearing maybe even the shaft bearing to. the bearings are cheap its just the labor, if you can get it done for $275 jump on that the cheapest place around here wanted $350 just for labor to drop and put back in the tranny. Now i need to find a girlfriend that isnt scared to "play" and take it down the track;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;)

And the throwout bearing is new.. I should have done the pilot with the clutch too but... yea.. I donno..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definatly should have changed the pilot bearing there only $6. If it was me i would replace the 3 main bearings since the pilot is $6 throwout is like $40 and the shaft one cant be that much. You know what they say better safe than sorry. Do you know if the flywheel is stock?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts