Supra Forums banner

Trying to get a speed signal from R154 to Stand alone.

16K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  ZaZZn 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to use the ABS sensor in my R154 to spit out a speed signal. There are 3 wires coming off the sensor, and according to the 1jz TSRM, they are:

White (hot)
Black (ground)
Red (Speed Signal)

So, I hooked up the white and black to get power to the ABS sensor, and measured the voltage coming out of the red (signal) wire. It never went above 100mV (0.1V) - pretty low voltage. I then found out that it's supposed to be a square wave signal. So, with this in mind, can someone please help me hook up my ABS sensor to the Vipec V88 ECU??

R154 gurus, please chime in!

EDIT: I measured the voltage while going up to 60mph and then back to stand-still.

#4 ·
Yes, I'm using a digital input in the Vipec. How many kOhms should I get for a pull up resistor? and do I simply run the resistor in series with the wiring?

I was seriously considering the marlen crawler electric speedo, but I'll see if I can pull this off before I have to spend the extra money.

#7 ·
The sensor off the R154 is a hall effect(3-wire). It should work for you.

There is a sensor in the dash driven by the speedo cable. It is used for the TEMS system. I believe this is also a hall effect signal. I found this to be a poor place to pick a speed signal from because it is cable driven and the speed would read rather choppy. This could be because my aftermarket speedometer cable(TH350) might not of been as good as the stock cable.

Front ABS Sensors. They are both reluctors(2-wire) and went into my haltech just fine with the use of MSD part number 8509 converting the signal to a hall effect from reluctor. Nice solid signal from the reluctor ring on the hubs. This is what I run, but I had no other choice with the GM auto and the poor signal from the dash sensor caused by the cable.

Between these three options you shoould be able to make something work. I have heard stories of factory hall effect signals not working very well with some stand alones which is why a lot of people choose to run the MSD 8509 but I would hate to run a device I didn't need if you have a signal that should plug right in to your EMS.

#9 ·
Thank you for the excellent break down. Unfortunately, my R154 is in a 300zx and not a MKIII, which eliminates the second and third option. So please tell me more about the first option that you mentioned. When you say the sensor off the R154 is a hall effect type sensor, do you mean the ABS sensor or the speed sensor? because I ran the signal to my Vipec off the ABS sensor and it didn't recognize it. I logged zero Hz. So should I start experimenting with resistors? and do I run the resistors in series with the signal wire?

Sorry for the questions but although I'm not completely oblivious to electrical, it definitely is NOT my forte.

#8 ·
I'd try Dave's suggestion first. But if the vipec does not have a built in pull up in the dig input, I'd start with a 1K ohm between the 12v and signal wire. This is how I've done it with weak signals from oem sensors, I have since switched to all aftermarket sensors.

#10 ·
I was referring to the ABS sensor on the R154. I don't know much about ViPec EMS systems, but after a quick google search it looks like some of their units will support DPI pullups.

http://www.vi-pec.com/ecus/v88

I just looked over the TSRM and it looks like the sensor takes a 12v input, so if you fed it 12v, not 5 volts (like some of the other typical 3-wire sensors) I think you are on the right path. It also shows how to test the sensor with the sensor out of the tranmission and you need to use a resistor, so I would say you should experiment with the DPI pullups on your EMS. Below are the pages from the TSRM. The value range given in here is probably a good clue how to set up the pullup.

#11 · (Edited)
Just looking at this again, I am not sure if you have it wired properly, I have some notes written on one of the pages from a few years ago and as you can see and they are conflicting with how you wired it. The notes are most likely correct as the TSRM guides you to test the RR+ or white wire and shows the resistor wired that way as well. I would try wiring it with the white as the signal and the red as 12v and see what happens. I would then try to figure out the pullup function in your ems if you are still having an issue.

#13 ·
Just an update for who ever stumbles across this thread looking for answers.
I wired the ABS sensor using a resistor in the circuit illustrated above (posted by joliroger), and I managed to create a speed signal!
My Vipec now recieves the signal through a digital input pin and translates it to a speed.

Yay.

#17 ·
Just adding to this thread, I got the ABS signals working on my MS3 as my VSS2 for traction control (straight line) I'm trying to get the rear sensor working instead of using the dash pink wire as that wire seems to have strange pluses that make the signal jump speed all over (I think it's due to to the jumpy speedo due to a cable that needs lube) So I'm just going to switch over the ABS sensor for the ECM for speed.

#18 · (Edited)
Update everything working.

Added a 10k pull up resistor for the front abs after the stock ecu gets its signal allowing the ms3 to get the speed signal.
Teeth are 95

For rear tail shaft it's a halleffect sensor so used a wire rr+ and sent it to the digital inputs for the ms3pro and no pullups or anything just spliced it in.
Teeth 32

#19 ·
Update everything working.

Added a 10k pull up resistor for the front abs after the stock ecu gets its signal allowing the ms3 to get the speed signal.
Teeth are 95

For rear tail shaft it's a halleffect sensor so used a wire rr+ and sent it to the digital inputs for the ms3pro and no pullups or anything just spliced it in.
Teeth 32
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but I'm trying to use a front ABS speed sensor with my Haltech Elite 2000. I see on the TEWD, it has FL- and FL+
Do I need to connect both wires? In the Haltech software, I selected 'reluctor' type speed sensor but it didn't require me to choose another wire. Can I just use the FL+? It also greys out the pull-up resistor option when reluctor is selected

#20 · (Edited)
I don't know about the haltech but MS3 pro needs requests 2 wires, since the circuit is already there and working with the stock ABS computer maybe you can just get away with the voltage from one wire. If you remove the ABS computer I'm sure you will need 2 to complete the circuit

#21 ·
I'm retaining the ABS computer, just tapping into the connector under the dash.
Still trying to figure out the wiring for Haltech SPI inputs with a Reluctor sensor. I asked on the Haltech forums but they were turds about it and just told me to google it (I did)
Did find this post on the RX7 forums:

Not sure, but I feel like adding a signal ground would fuck with the signal to the ABS computer.
I'll call haltech in a couple hours. Hopefully this will save future haltech user a headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.