Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, if there was a TT kit for 2jzge's that didn't cost a ridiculous amount. How many people would consider it instead of the single route?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I don't know about always better. Ask some of the guys who still have the stock twins are gone the HKS Twin Route. Price and performance are to be considered but it isn't out of the question I don't think. Be open minded.....

Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supra93 said:
No, because a single will always be better/cheaper
When going NA-T the conversion is usually a bit pricy anyways. I'm talking about if you could go na-tt for about $800-900 more then the price of na-t. Then again you can't say it will be better until someone has actually tried an na-tt on a 2jzge. You don't really have anything to compare to. I appreciate your input however.
 

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
Twin turbos(like the HKS twins) will not spool any faster than a single turbo making the same amount of hp. And a twin setup is twice teh headache... twice the amount of parts that could go bad and twice the trouble to get to those parts.... imo its not worth it at all....
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
lol!!! I'm just so open minded it's not funny. I'm always for the unique thing not the typical thing, as Zohair will tell you.

Ryan
 

·
I put up BS Flags
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
nonturbo said:
Just out of curiosity, if there was a TT kit for 2jzge's that didn't cost a ridiculous amount. How many people would consider it instead of the single route?
There are too many things working against a Twin Turbo setup on them is slower spool. Its kind of common to assume two turbos is better then one because the factory Supra came "twin turbo" but keep in mind the factory twin turbos are sequential, which means one turbo spools up fast and assists in the spooling of the other turbo to lessen turbo lag. Because ALL of the aftermarket kits I have seen including HKS and Greddy utilize a non sequential setup the spool on the turbos is not as quick as a single that would put down the same amount of power as the twins.

So if you wanted to make a kit to utilize bigger twins make it sequential. When doing this make sure you have a good team of engineers and the budget of a major car company behind you though because its not an easy process. Then plumbing can get complicated and in the end its not going to be anywhere near the price of a single turbo kit. The cool factor would be there but with cool comes a hefty price on the wallet. And the whole only costing a little bit more for twin turbos is not always true either because just buying two turbos instead of one in general would be much more expensive not to mention the R&D to design and plumb a new kit for the NA-Ts.
 

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
Joined
·
254 Posts
I would like to see it done. Not for the power reasons but for someonw to be unique and show something that has never been done with the ge block!

steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming as I would like to get as many as possible. Another thing I want you all to take into consideration is the show/unique factor. I'd like to hear more opinions on this subject, thank you all for your replies.
 

·
SF's Cleanest
Joined
·
7,179 Posts
they need more mods for the na supra, just because its the base model of the mkiv doesn't mean people don't want to make it fast also. Theres all kind of things for the rsx, eclipses, ect. why not make some good mods to make the NA a bit quicker. Only things i've seen are exhaust intake headers and a few other goodies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xenon Supra said:
they need more mods for the na supra, just because its the base model of the mkiv doesn't mean people don't want to make it fast also. Theres all kind of things for the rsx, eclipses, ect. why not make some good mods to make the NA a bit quicker. Only things i've seen are exhaust intake headers and a few other goodies
What type of mods do you mean? Could you provide some examples? Thanks.
 

·
BoostedBreakDancer
Joined
·
318 Posts
maybe im wrong but i thought twins could reach the same PSI as a single faster than a single and most of the time more peak PSI and i thought more reliable at lower PSI because they are splitting the work

i could be wrong
im actually plainning on running twin SP58's

starting with one of course because of $$$$ and head gasket and tranny and sht like that

but believe me i will let you guys know if it works

example i thought a single SP58 is good for about 18 - 20 PSI without blowling up and about 500rwhp depending on the non-turbo mods you have.....so im guessing i could run 2 sp 58's and run 15 PSI each (i dont know if ill have to run dual boost controllers and wastegates i havnt gotten that far) and be pushing 30 PSI in the system with closer to 7somthinish hundred to the wheels if wanted without straining the turbos? am i just way out there in my thinking is this not how it would work?

feel free to fire off smart alect comments ha ha
 

·
I rock like CRACK
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
There is no reason to run two small turbos like the sp58, the larger SP turbos work really well and spool better than two of those would. Also small turbos are going to run hotter costing you power at hi psi. A big single is going to be more efficient as far as power and cost.
 

·
BoostedBreakDancer
Joined
·
318 Posts
would the two smaller turbos not "share the load" and generate 15 PSI each for a total of 30 PSI in the system? if so then being small turbos they would spool faster and reach 30 PSI before the larger turbo would right? so you would have fast spooling and high PSI?

(im just throwing those PSI numbers around i dont know exactly what they could or will spool)
 

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
No offense KizzyRee, but there is ALOT more to it than that... Please take it from people who have been working on turbo cars for years and ahve experience with single and twin setups... they will not spool faster. There is no magical setup... if you want xxx rwhp, you will have xxx amount of lag. There is a reason we and other top supra builders use single turbos in our turbo kits....
 

·
BoostedBreakDancer
Joined
·
318 Posts
well dayum

in the words of Pete "Dat dont make no sense!"

i guess i need to rethink and re-research i thought that my thinking was correct but i guess not

what seems logical sometimes isnt

thanks
 

·
2014 E63 S
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
I think that in this stage of the game, there is no reason to be a guinea pig to a na-tt setup when there are a few reliable and proven na-t setups on the market. Plus, adding $800 or more to the cost, even if it is better, will really turn people away.
 

·
I put up BS Flags
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
KizzyRee said:
maybe im wrong but i thought twins could reach the same PSI as a single faster than a single and most of the time more peak PSI and i thought more reliable at lower PSI because they are splitting the work

i could be wrong
im actually plainning on running twin SP58's

starting with one of course because of $$$$ and head gasket and tranny and sht like that

but believe me i will let you guys know if it works

example i thought a single SP58 is good for about 18 - 20 PSI without blowling up and about 500rwhp depending on the non-turbo mods you have.....so im guessing i could run 2 sp 58's and run 15 PSI each (i dont know if ill have to run dual boost controllers and wastegates i havnt gotten that far) and be pushing 30 PSI in the system with closer to 7somthinish hundred to the wheels if wanted without straining the turbos? am i just way out there in my thinking is this not how it would work?



feel free to fire off smart alect comments ha ha
See my previous post I explained why. Also you cant look at boost pressure as directly correspondent to horsepower. You need to look more at the cfms a turbo can flow with the wheels and housings it is using. Otherwise you might notice that a SP57 at 15psi gives ALOT smaller number then a SP88 at 15psi this is because the SP88 flows ALOT more air at a given boost pressure because the wheels of the turbo are bigger and throw more air into your car. Think of it like taking one of those handheld fans and turning it to 1500 rpms and holding it to your face, sure you get a nice cool little breeze flowing. BUT now take one of those huge ass fans half the size of a man and have it spin at 1500 rpms well you feel it a lot more now that the fan blades aka "wheels" are spinning faster. Hope that makes sense.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top