Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working with Precision Industries on the TT converters, we found a design problem with the Supra trans. The problem exists when you power-brake the car for longer than 3 seconds. The converter actually is developing air pockets which is causing a damaging harmonic vibration within the converter. PI is currently redesigning the the tc and we will test it with the intent of trying to break it. This has led to changes of material and enforcement at several spots in the converter.
We will also be testing the new multidisc lock-up plate for PI. The same problem that caused the cavatation in the converter was also letting the lock-up plate try to engage in a power-brake situation. This is currently being researched to try to develop a cure.
I will post more info as it becomes avail. If you have any question please call. Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A just received a question via telephone, yes the redesign will be done in a couple weeks and we will then have one in our hands to try out. We will be testing line pressures under various loads in a stock and a built tranny to help in the redesign.

Thanks for the question
Tony

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
This is good news...keep us posted...

·
462 Posts
I was about to order mine... Looks like I should wait. :(

Is this "harmonic vibration" Audible by any chance?

I've been hearing an audible noise recently...following a track day, where I did stall the converter a bit longer than 3 sec.

Please let me know when I can get an updated converter!!!

Thanks! :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise is not actually audible nor can you feel it. The new converters will be available hopefully within a couple weeks. We have several on order that will be sent to us as soon as the changes has been tested. The converter should still be available with or without the lock-up plate.

Thanks
Tony

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PerfDesign.com said:
The noise is not actually audible nor can you feel it. The new converters will be available hopefully within a couple weeks. We have several on order that will be sent to us as soon as the changes has been tested. The converter should still be available with or without the lock-up plate.

Thanks
Tony
Not trying to second guess you, but I have spoken with PI numerous times in the past few weeks. I keep hearing that they anticipate the new multidisc converters to be available for purchase for the general public for up 6-9 months. Are we talking about the same mutlidisc converter,or are you referring an improved single disc that doesn't develop the pockets?

BTW, if you have a PI converter, they will upgrade the converter for you for the difference in price of the new one and you can change your stall once in the warranty period free of charge. Supposedly the turnaround will be 3-4 days too! Gotta love their coustomer service.

Good luck with the trials Tony. Beat the crap out of it! :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is correct, the improvements will be free of charge except for the multdisc lock up plate. After speaking to PI, it seems that the multi disc will be avail. sooner than that especially after the test. I will let you as soon as a release date is determined.

Thanks
Tony

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PI is tooling up the machines right now to make the new backing plate for the multi disc converter. It should be avail. in a couple days. They are working up the price on the upgrade and I should know by the end of the day on the price.

Thanks

Tony

·
462 Posts
Good news!

What are the benefits of the multi-disc?

The only one I know is that you can lock it up in 2nd Gear.

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you decrease the size of the converter you loose clutch surface area on the lock up plate. The multi disc gives you the surface needed to engage the lock up without slipping or burning it up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PerfDesign.com said:
PI is tooling up the machines right now to make the new backing plate for the multi disc converter. It should be avail. in a couple days. They are working up the price on the upgrade and I should know by the end of the day on the price.

Thanks

Tony
Sweet. Can you also reaffirm the expected trunover time to get an older model upgraded to the mutli-disc and the stall changed. Turnover time is going to be key for people with a daily driver who want their converter upgreded. Also, I do think a signifigant price break would be in order for those who have already bought PI converters:) Pass the word....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Their turn around time is already excellent, that should not be an issue. I will be sure to mention it.

Thanks

Tony

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We installed the first updated converter in a customer's car last weekend, he is hoping to get some track time this weekend. We will let you know how is goes.

Tony

·
462 Posts
What's the word on the upgraded 3-disc PI converter?

Thanks!

PerfDesign.com said:
We installed the first updated converter in a customer's car last weekend, he is hoping to get some track time this weekend. We will let you know how is goes.

Tony

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HEY MAURY WHAT'S UP HAVEN'T SEEN YOU ON THE FORUM LATELY, HOW'S YOUR RIDE DOING?DID YOU SEE MY NEW #'S SHE'S RUNNING PRETTY GOOD, I ALSO WON THE STREET TIRE CLASS AT THE LAST BATTLE OF THE IMPORT'S RAN ABUNCH OF DSM'S THERE PRETTY STRONG, BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH.

·
462 Posts
Mike,

Nice new numbers! What did you run at the battle of the imports?? ET/MPH.

I'm still waiting for this 3-disc converter....can't wait.

I've been very busy with work.

TTYL

deavenly1 said:
HEY MAURY WHAT'S UP HAVEN'T SEEN YOU ON THE FORUM LATELY, HOW'S YOUR RIDE DOING?DID YOU SEE MY NEW #'S SHE'S RUNNING PRETTY GOOD, I ALSO WON THE STREET TIRE CLASS AT THE LAST BATTLE OF THE IMPORT'S RAN ABUNCH OF DSM'S THERE PRETTY STRONG, BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts