Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modifications need be done, if any, to fit TT rotors/calipers on a NA vehicle axle?

·
Band on the Run
1,041 Posts
you need to cut off the dust shields.

Thats it.

Everything else bolts straight on.

Remember to bleed the brakes when you are done. Also you need 17inch rims to clear the front brakes, so make sure you have a different set.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
you may also need to push the dust shield a little toward you where the 14mm bolts are for the rear caliper and i also had to readjust my parking brake.

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
I'm also going to be doing this, need to get the rotors and pads. Massive difference in feel? Did you guys use the stock NA brake lines too? Or is it worth going over to SS lines? Hope I'm not hijacking you're thread.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is a huge difference in feel. Get the ss lines your going to in that area anyway. It is not mandatory to have the dust shields cut, you can bend them out of the way. This is how I have my setup and its definitly worth it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
There is a huge difference in feel. Get the ss lines your going to in that area anyway. It is not mandatory to have the dust shields cut, you can bend them out of the way. This is how I have my setup and its definitly worth it.
You have to CUT the shield where the brake calipers gos but you can bend the other portion back. But i found it easier to just cut the rest of the dust shield with some garden sheers as opposed to bending it.

As for the brake feel well its different. Instead of having all your braking in the first 2in of the push, the brake pedel now goes almost all the way to the floor. So some might like it less.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't know what you mean by having the pedal almost all the way to the floor, but mine felt the same after i swap the fronts to TT, maybe you need to bleed more? Anyway the major difference is at high speed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't know what you mean by having the pedal almost all the way to the floor, but mine felt the same after i swap the fronts to TT, maybe you need to bleed more? Anyway the major difference is at high speed.
With the stock calipers and the stock master cylinder if i pressed the brake pedal the brakes would engage fully VERY fast.

With the new calipers and tt master cylinder there is a good bit more travel distance with the brake pedal.

And i bench bleed the master cylinder and blead the brakes 3 times so i am sure there is no air in them. But hay i need to swap out the rims this saturday so i might as well gravity bleed the brakes one more time for good measure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tt brake

So I know this might b a little off topic but I'm actually right in the beginning of this upgrade, and was wondering for the guys that have done this upgrade already what parts can u reuse from the na brakes, example; the bolt that comes from the caliper to the brake lines, any of the shims and springs for mounting the calipers? Any stuff like that

·
11,221 Posts
As for the brake feel well its different. Instead of having all your braking in the first 2in of the push, the brake pedel now goes almost all the way to the floor. So some might like it less.
You just bled wrong or something. Mine engages right away.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
So I know this might b a little off topic but I'm actually right in the beginning of this upgrade, and was wondering for the guys that have done this upgrade already what parts can u reuse from the na brakes, example; the bolt that comes from the caliper to the brake lines, any of the shims and springs for mounting the calipers? Any stuff like that
You can reuse the brake lines, the na torque plate now tt caliper bolts, the banjo bolt and the copper washers around each bolt.

Everything else needs to be replaced
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes soon. But I was told the brakes from the LS400 would be better then the TT brakes.
define better?

It depends on what you want. The pistions are the same size between the 2 calipers. The brake pads are the same size but the pad material may be less on the ls400 caliper depending on the pad you get. The tt caliper is around 15lb while the ls400 one is 9lb. Also the tt rotor is directionally vented unlike the ls400 one. (and costs less)

I would say at lower speeds the ls400 caliper would be better since it has a smaller rotor. But at high speeds the larger rotor and the fact that its directionally vented means the tt caliper is better.

BTW if you do get ls400 calipers you need the ls400 banjo bolt, the supra one is different.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts