Supra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
why? from what i heard its the exact samething.....
There is a difference, idk what it is tho but i am pretty sure the brake bias is different.

If i had to guess i would say either a) the front/rear proportion is different or b) the brake pressure is different or c) both.
i know the UK/US spec MCs are bigger than jspecs along with the brake booster/servo :dunno:
the reason the mc is bigger on some models is traction control. The redesigned 97-98 usdm mc is the same size as a no trac sc300 mc.

·
11,221 Posts
or something is right.

I just rebleed them today using the good ol fashion bucket of water method and everything feels normal now.
If you just rebled it, and now the pedal feels fine, doesn't that mean you bled it wrong before like I suggested?? :run:

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
Does the conversion work with the N-A wheels ?? like do the calipers hit the wheel at all ? Cuz i noticed even my n-a wheels infront of the stock calipers are pretty dam close. But i guess either way i need new wheels.. any one know about the inner part of your wheels rotting ? lol the tire guys told me my wheels are no good

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you need at least 17" wheels

I had worked at a PepBoys, years ago. On both steel AND aluminum wheels, I have seen corrosion where the tire seats against the lip of the rim, to the point it would leak air.

We would use a wire wheel to take off the corrosion. Aluminum is obviously very soft, and care must be taken when putting a wire wheel to it. You will wear low spots if you brush it too long. Only a temp fix though. Sure to come back eventually.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stock 16's won't clear front, stock 17's will. Also a word of advice, just because people say get 17's or bigger doesn't mean they will clear! I have 18" volk GTC's that don't clear the fronts due to offset and spoke design.

Also as mentioned, will need to cut/bend rear dust shields and also cut or remove the front dust shields. I removed mine.

I just did mine last weekend (J-Spec) and it should be the same as the US model apart from the direction of which you bleed your brakes due to different side brake master cylinder, I'm unsure if there are any other US differences (I'd doubt it).

I didn't upgrade my brake master cylinder, but I really don't think it would make a huge difference, if it was in need of replacement then yeah why not get the TT one but not worth it IMO. I also got the metal brush and sand paper onto the hubs where it contacts the rotor to remove any surface rust.

Link to my brake upgrade with pics - http://www.supraforums.com./forum/showthread.php?t=499999&page=4

Link I used as a guide with more detailed instructions - http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesII/SupraBrakeUpgrade.htm

p.s-yay, 100 posts in 3 1/2 years! lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this post is old but do really need to have 17in rims for clearance because I was about to get a set of 18in after the swap

·
iSPOOL
1,178 Posts
I know this post is old but do really need to have 17in rims for clearance because I was about to get a set of 18in after the swap
Yes the TT brakes won't clear the stock 16" NA wheels.

·
11,221 Posts
You need minimal of 17" to clear the calipers. If you are to get 18" it should be fine. The stock NA 16" rims won't work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts