Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put a TT SMIC on there NA for colder air? I live in Florida where it's hot all the time, and I was thinking of putting one on for ccoler air, hence better engine performance. I'm not looking for major gains, I'm just looking to keep the heat down. I tired searching did'nt see anything. Thanks.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Are your turbo'd or still NA? There is no use in putting it on if you are NA.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
If you think about it, it'll slow down airflow which will make ur car slower. dont you think . . . :ugh2:

·
!black
4,622 Posts
The passive cooling effect on a (relativly) low volume of air flow doesn't outweigh the restriction in it's flow caused by the cooler. Thus, it's a hinderance.

Ambient air draw from an NA eningine is no where near the temps of a compressed charge. You only see ~1-2hp difference per 10deg of air drop. Now, on a turbo car that is huge, but on an NA car you'd be lucky to get a 10deg drop period across a SMIC :)

For cooler air charges on an NA platform, just buy a small (cheap) air intake system and filter.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
edenward said:
I'm a NA. It wouldn't help keep in engine cooler?
Engine temps are governed by their cooling and oiling system (oil temp is the one you really have to worry about, but most never think about). You're going to see zero change in overall engine temps on an NA from any sort of IC.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would I drop the oil temp, oil cooler? I just had seen guys cut holes out in there headlight and wonderd why they just did'nt use a SMIC.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
edenward said:
How would I drop the oil temp, oil cooler? I just had seen guys cut holes out in there headlight and wonderd why they just did'nt use a SMIC.

The guys that cut holes in headlights aren't NA, they're turbo. They're getting a better flow of air to the turbo inlet itself. The more/faster it can breathe, the better.

Oil temps can be lowered by a (or several) good oil coolers. But quite frankly, unless you are road racing then the stock stuff is fine. A NA supra isn't going to generate a ton of heat in street trim.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
probably because it adds restriction which is a seious no no :nono:

·
!black
4,622 Posts
edenward said:
Thanks for your help, so if I were to install a SNIC would I loose any power?

Yup. Like I said, the temp drops (You're ambient + ~30deg from engine heat soak) wouldn't drop enough with a IC for it to be worth anything. All you would be doing is throwing more restrictions in the flow air to the motor.

James

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, and James your really seem to know your stuff. Thanks for taking time out to write. Later

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
You really want to do it, don't you??

I would be 100 times better to isolate your air filter from the engine, for example with a heat shield, and get cold air where it is, as close of the road as possible. You could draw a flexible hose from the passenger side air intake on the front bumper to the engine room. Lots of NA owners (not only supras) do that here as the ambient air is warm and has a lot of humidity in it, it works pretty well from what I've heard, it's cheap, and you can revert it back to stock in 5 minutes.

Concerning the cooling of your engine, the stock system is fine even if you push it uphill on a summer day for a long time. The temp gauge has never moved an eyebrow on mine on these conditions. That's for an 99% stock motor. One more point, it's not good to cool the engine down too much on a stock setup. Engines are designed to work at these temperatures, they won't get hurt anyway as soon as your engine oil is fine and matches the manufacturer standards.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I say go for it if you really want to give it a try. Sometimes people just got to learn from mistakes. It is a lot of trouble for something that has zero benefit on a NA car though. Otherwise every muscle car will have one.

Vented hood will keep your engine nice and cool while looking good.

·
Banned
588 Posts
If he does decide to do this, how would he setup the intercooler in his N/A? so he would get a cold air intake setup, and instead of attaching the intake directly to the throttle body, he would instead intervene with an intercooler in between the intake and throttle body?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take your word for it, as I am not mechanical, and don't want to do anything to decrease or interfere with performance of my car. It was just a thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts