Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked a million times, but I thought I would ask it from a slightly different perspective and here's why ...

TT Supras are getting rarer and rarer, as such they are commanding a minimum $8000+ price premium over NA models for the same number of miles/condition. Also many of the TTs that I have seen for sale are getting into the 150K+ miles If I were to buy a Supra of those number of miles regardless of whether it were a TT or N/A, I would upgrade pretty much everything - Brakes, suspension, engine build (I have a spare TT block and crank), single turbo upgrade. So would it be better to just get the N/A and upgrade everything rather than pay the premium for the TT and end up redoing stuff anyway?

I have been holding out buying a Supra for a long long time just cos I don't really like 2 door cars, but can resist no longer. I just love the look .. they are soooo sexy!

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
Eh, i had an NA and went NA-T lots of daily driveability problems with it. If you're going to go for a decent amount of horsepower and you want a manual, i would recommend going with a 6 spd TT since it's tougher than the 5 spd in the NA.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Find a Cheap, fairly good conditioned and then do the TT swap. That's what I would do.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Anyone who recommends getting an NA is making a huge mistake. Everyone I've known who has gone that route has regretted it.

Get the TT and replace parts as necessary -- it's the most pragmatic and cost-effective option.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you have the place and the know how I would say take a look at the price of getting an NA. If one is going to replace the ECU, harness, engine, trans, brakes, fuel, suspension, and other things that would normall go into a Turbo I really don't see a lot of problems there. Essentially you're getting everything that a turbo edition has. Just look at the price of it all. Keep in mind that while saving more you will have to replace more. But if you're going to essentially strip the car down and build it back up, get a high milage NA for $10k with a good body and no damage and revive the car.

With that said I had the option of doing that and dropping $15k into it right away, but I opted to spend the $25k on a turbo with 55k miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've also thought about going the NA route and then swapping in a TT engine/drive train.

The NA cars have a inherant weight advantage. Particularly the hard top cars, which I would opt to own. No targa, no Traction Control, cloth seats, smaller brakes. Between those components alone you'd save at least 100lbs. I'd also do some other weight saving mods including a stealthy body-color painted CF rear hatch and ditching the back seats.

While my total investment once it's done will likely be beyond the cost of a good condition TT, the NA will get me in the door, I can drive it and build up the swap components while I drive and I can customize the car without guilt of taking away from the value of a TT and have an immeadiate weight advantage.

I can do all of the basic labor. I'd have the engine, trans and rear redone by people I know. Electrical is a cake-walk for me, so no issues there.

Basically, as soon as I get a steady job and not another one of these BS jobs I've had, I will take out a loan to go buy as nice a condition, NOT-black or red NA hard top auto and then sell my Honda Prelude.

ugh, I'm tired of thinking about it.. I just want to be in that damn Supra cruising the strip near the beach :)

.. funny, I've noticed that the only people who notice my Prelude are other Honda owners lol .. anyway...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you buy an NA and use it as a daily driver and hope to build it up that will be very tough. Also if you need to take out a loan on an NA, keep in mind that going single with the right hardware takes between $7000 and $12000 depending on your setup. It is not going to be cheap ether way. If you figure in all the rest of the hardware that you need to buy, you can easily be looking at $20000 in mods (engine, trans, and all that good stuff). So a $13000 NA plus say $20000 in parts gets you a $33000 single turbo supra, which is close to what many of us have spent on our cars (and yes I know there are still many who spend much much more then that).

Of course if you overnight them in from Japan everything changes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would buy the NA to drive around daily. I would accumilate the parts I need to convert it to exactly the way I want it, NOT the way someone else built it. I don't have the outright capitol now to just go buy a Supra. Once I get a steady job, that will back my being able to get a loan to go buy the car I want. Then I turn around and sell the Prelude for $7-$9k and put that towards the Supra loan.

Next vehicle purchase will probably be a truck or SUV. Once I have that, the Supra will come off the road for the major conversion work. That is how the plan will work.

I am involved in the performance industry so I get better then retail pricing on both regular parts and specialized labor (engine builds, trans builds, etc.)

The only way I'd buy a TT car is if I found a high miles, well taken care of, auto not in red or black, hard top that was either bone stock or a mild BPU and was less then $19k

Job first, Supra hunt after :)

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
steelwindmachine said:
I've also thought about going the NA route and then swapping in a TT engine/drive train..........

While my total investment once it's done will likely be beyond the cost of a good condition TT,..........
Then it's better to wait and get the TT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you are going to replace everything anyway, than i would get the na. Its lighter, cheaper, and the insurance would not be as high.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i got quoted almost 2k more a year for an NA supra over a TT. Too bad whenever i'm in the market for a TT something always happens to the deal and never goes through.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback. yes, I know very well how much a built 2JZ-GTE motor costs. I will have about $10K invested in my motor when it's all said and done. I have a spare bad short block, two 6 speed trannies, one 6 speed rear end and all shafts, VW intake manifold ... and right now they are not going into a Supra! If I sold all that crap, I could have gotten a nice TT Supra for a couple of grand more! What a foo! Wish I just got the Supra in the first place! *sigh*

·
Registered
139 Posts
To the guy with the Prelude (and the original poster if it applies to you);

You are telling us you want to buy a Supra (NA or TT doesn't matter, it carries a premium in insurance and price tag either way) and you follow it up with a comment about a bs job. I think in your situation I would worry more about the important things in life, like getting to where you're going, instead of worrying about what you're gonna do when you get there. There are hundreds of people on this board that will attest to the sad fact that unless you have ALOT of extra money (which you apparently don't) to throw into your car, the mod-list you make before you actually buy it doesn't mean shit, because you're never going to go through with it even if yuo buy the car, and if you do you will just become one of the "man, that guy is broke" members who eats Ramen noodles to get in on a group buy for some tiny mod that you're buying after saving up. This might seem off the original question, but it certainly plays a factor. If you have a bs job (you said it, I'm just quoting you) you won't get a loan for a Supra, NA or TT, unless it's in lesser condition and going for a price the bank is willing to loan for. These cars are 8-12 years old, and any one you would be getting would be on the less-desireable edge of that quote. If you want an NA and are happy with an NA, then attempt to get one, and if you do, you should make sure you're happy with it being NA for a few years (since mod-lists never happen as quickly as you expect they would), because it will probably be that before you go anywhere with the car.

What did all this typing amount to?;
1)if you buy an NA, be happy with it as an NA, because its probably staying that way.
2)you cant qualify for a TT with a bs job, so dont waste your time considering an impossible/out-of-reach option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Steve,

I appreciate the wisdom. I will fess up, that I know you're right since I have personally experience exactly what you describe. The Prelude is my 7th car since 1995. Of the 7 I've had 2 of them, a 87 Monte SS and a 87 Turbo Buick were daily driver project cars, big mistake. I blew more money, wasted more time on those then anything else in my life.

The right way would have been to buy a Honda to tool around in, to and from work, to and from school, cheap on gas, cheap to maintain etc... and when my "fast" car took a dump or was being modded I wasn't out of transportation.

Well, now I have the Honda and wound up parting out all the "fast" cars. I never was able to afford to finish any project.

So, yes you're right about the order of priorities. A good solid job should be able afford me certain things that I have not been able to afford or pursue in the past.

When it comes down to it, I don't have a Supra. I don't know when I'll own one. I know what I'd like to do to one when I do have one. As soon as my financial situation and living situation allows I'm going to pursue owning one. However, I will either have another reliable vehicle first or if I buy one as a daily driver, I won't be doing massive mods that keep it off the road until I havethat second vehicle.

Wants and Needs....

·
Registered
183 Posts
i bought a NA i dont regret it but like another said i have accepted it to be a NA
at the time i bought the supra it was my second car and i had a gs400 that was my sleeper quick car i cruised that more anyways
I also had a turbo buick we-4 and a couple of corolla gts
i really wish that i had crashed my gs400 sooner then i would have definately bought a 6spd tt but the NA was cheap and I really just wanted to use it as a nice showcar and preety much daily drive it
im still working on it and its preety much been a garage queen and occasional car i even let my parents drive it sometimes for an extra car
now i daily drive an acura legend 6spd which is strong and comfortable
but this is what i have decided to keep the NA and buy another 6spd when i find a good decent priced non accident mkiv 6spd or another gs400 damn it mystic i was ready to buy that one my dreams coming together too much
just my .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts