Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did the ttc mod. love it. now sometimes when i make a hard run, about five minutes later the "trac","engine", and "OD" warning lights come on and flash. i reset the ecu and everything is fine. is this normal? do i just reset ecu everytime this happens? any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been having the same problem for about a month now. A couple of minutes after going on the the highway the !,trac off, check engine light up with the O/D flashing. Pulled the ECU code and code 71 comes up. It is a egr system malfunction. I just got my multimeter last week so I am going to start the troubleshoot along with the service manuals.

Pull your ECU code, see if it comes out with code 71.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is exactly what is happening and yes code 71 comes up. i am wondering if i am not damaging anything by running like this? do you have the egr block-off plates?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must have a 97 or 98 because mine does it too. Easy way to get around it is to do the ettc mod (extremely easy if you do it at the ECU) and as long as you turn the car on and off in the sequential mode, it will not trip the error code! Trust me I have been experimnting with it for a while now also and realized how to keep it from coming on. As for damaging the car, I am pretty sure its just a function of the different ECU in the 97-98 models

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shit did not see that you had a 93, sorry! Also mine actually only gets the 'check engine' light and the '!'. I got rid of them by doing ettc and just making sure I start and turn off the car in sequential! Please let me know whats up when you find out.

You do have the egr block off plates right??

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no plates yet, but did do the caps on the egr's themselves. my poor ecu harness cannot take anymore splicing!!! have plates on order. wish i did not have to do the ettc mod if i can avoid it

thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
CBDFLY said:
that is exactly what is happening and yes code 71 comes up. i am wondering if i am not damaging anything by running like this? do you have the egr block-off plates?
I don't have the egr block off plates. The service manual says that the problem can be from the following.

1)EGR modulator
2)bad VSV for the EGR
3)EGR
4)temp. probe
5)ECU terminal.

The EGR is supposed to open above a certain coolant temp. and rpm. This is when you get the "cooling effect" of the exhaust temp. gas. Since some have the block off plates and reported no problems I don't think it is doing any harm.

What I think though is for those of us at BPU without the block of plates and without a fuel controller the rich A/F is causing the EGR system to get clogged up, AMHIK. I have been BPU for a year now. Anyone else have the same problem after going BPU with a rich A/F?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts