Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hee guys,

When my Supra was stock, i had grip in 1st and 2nd gear, now with a downpipe and TTC, 1st gear is useless (wheelspin) and 2nd gear almost always peals out.
(When my new (used) set of twins went on the car, the car was put in TTC to prevent #2 from blowing up in the future.)

It sucks that the supra feels slower, because it just wont grip under 50mph.

Also, this loss of grip is killing my tires,

right now i have Sumitomo HTR-z II 255/40/17 on the back

these are worn out already after only 2700 miles (never buy these, i unfortunatelly trusted someone else to put tires on my car, thus ending up with these pieces of sh*t) (and as you can see in the second picture, they look skinny (ugly) as opposed to my previous kumho's that came with the car)

I'm planning on throwing on BFG KDW 275/40/17 now

My question to you guys, does anybody else have this problem? and will the BFG tire maintain grip and provide decent total milage? (i never burnout / dragrace, just street driving)

Thanks,

Luke.

· Registered
5,562 Posts
If your Just driving you should be good, if you plan on racin it a few times i suggest you get 555 nitoes, they work magic :bigthumb:

· A zone of danger.
1,725 Posts
I vaporized my KDW's in about 5,000mi. Then again, they were a 30 ratio tire. The set I have on there now is a 35 with the same treadwear rating, so we'll see how they hold up. I'm hoping the extra sidewall flex will help them hook a little better rather than just spin and eat them up.

· I Solve Problems
7,261 Posts
Is your suspension still stock and probably worn? Are you letting your tires get sticky or boosting immediately once you start driving? I had same issues with my car in TTC boosting 15psi. You need newer or improved suspension plus sticky tires to hold 400 horsepower.

· '95 TT
762 Posts
Those sumitomos are horrible. I also made the mistake of buying those tires. They can't grip at all, and my 285 trim sumitomo is WAY THINNER than my 275 drag radial.

I wouldn't recommend those tires to anyone.

Get yourself some KDWs or go to a nitto drag radial that fits your wheel and you'll have some grip.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responces so far,

lis2k - I have new shocks and springs on the car

i know a downpipe isn't going to turn the car into a monster, it's just the sudden power that TTC gets at 4000rpm that spins the (crappy sumitomo) tires.

This was actually my first set of tires, i had wanted to put BFG's on there right away, but a friend told me he could get me a good set of tires, with that performance, i never saw them until they were on the car, big mistake!

If anyone else has experiences with TTC and loss of grip OR very good grip, please post up,

Thanks,

Luke.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
the wear looks pretty uneven, mostly on the drivers side. I would get a good alignment with the new tires, a wrong toe setting can really wear the tires fast.

I'm running 275/40/17 Kumho MX's and with 400rwhp on pump gas they hook well, if I ease into into it in first they just sometimes spin a little at the top of first and then a quick spin on a quick shift to 2nd, then they hook fine. On high boost on race gas it's not quite as good, but they hook almost as well as the Nitto 555r's I had on before.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh_S, although i forgot to mention it, that's why i posted up the driver and passengerside tire picture, i was shocked to see one side was nearly at slick level, while the other still has minimal thread left!

But when driving 60mph, i can let go of the steeringwheel and the car will go perfectly straight. Worth noticing is that my car leans and that the left back of the car is 1 inch lower that the right back. I posted about this in another thread a couple of days ago :

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371746

will an alignment help? also, the back wheels have a factory 'positive camber angle' right?, and should it have some 'toe in' or none at all?

Thanks,

Luke.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Luke94 said:
Josh_S, although i forgot to mention it, that's why i posted up the driver and passengerside tire picture, i was shocked to see one side was nearly at slick level, while the other still has minimal thread left!

But when driving 60mph, i can let go of the steeringwheel and the car will go perfectly straight. Worth noticing is that my car leans and that the left back of the car is 1 inch lower that the right back. I posted about this in another thread a couple of days ago :

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371746

will an alignment help? also, the back wheels have a factory 'positive camber angle' right?, and should it have some 'toe in' or none at all?

Thanks,

Luke.

I would def. get an alignment. I use the aligment specs here: http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

a lot of shops have a hard time aligning supras so you need to find a good shop, the lasst place I went didn't get all the specs quite to the lance specs, but they are close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.