Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might just be the official birth of the Tundra cupholder mod for MK3 Supra.

This idea came from a craigslist ad. Someone was selling a MK3 turbo with a retracting cupholder. It fit in the factory ashtray location and looked completely factory when closed.

I have never once seen this, no matter how much searching I did, I came up with nothing. As I type this, this cupholder doesn't exist to the Supra community. I need this cupholder in my life!

It took me some time, but after enough googling, I figured out it must be a modified 00-06 Tundra cup holder. It's a 100% match excluding the Supra ashtray front piece.

So I went on eBay and bought one. It's on its way, will report back on any success once it gets here. I checked out the ashtray in my 89, there's only a few screws holding the front piece.

From the craigslist ad:

00-06 Toyota Tundra cup holder unit shown here:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well Damn. I just bought a 2002 sequoia (same dash as same generation tundra) 2 months ago. That cup holder looks just like mine. I'm gonna do some investigation on this today.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So,
I looked into this. The cup holder assembly is a three piece unit. In my Sequoia, I was able to remove the first section (part that the cup actually sits in) by removing two tiny allen bolts that prevent you from separating the piece from from the internal slider.The allen bolt can be seen in the bottom pic in the first post. I then went to my local JY to attempt to pull the mounting case from a sequoia there because I didn't want to tear my truck apart. It was a major PITA. The large portion of the dash must be torn down to remove the case as the mounting screws are behind it and point towards the firewall. Of course there are ecu's and other parts in the way that prevent you from getting even a shorty screwdriver in there.

Now, It's possible to make this work by removing the internal slider ( discard the outer case) and combining it with the MK3 upper ashtray mount. The problem will be the depth of the cup holder assembly. It's very deep. Some cutting of the dashboard structure behind the ashtray will be need. I'm not will to do that right now.

So, it's promising. Waiting to see someone take it further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts