Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1994 Supra NA-T. I dropped it off at a well known performance shop in Las Vegas to get it dyno tuned. A day later I get a call from the owner who is working on my car, and he told me that the MAP-ECU will not work with my car, well he said it wouldn't be safe. He told me that since there wasn't any ignition control with the MAP-ECU that it would not be safe to run it on my car. He told me that when boost kicks in timming should be backed off. Aren't there a lot of NA-T guys running MAP-ECU with no problems. WHAT SHOULD I DO??????

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
thats what the freakin stock ECU is there for. The MAP-ECU is a piggy back so by his reasoning you couldnt add a VPC, SAFC, AFR, etc either.

Alex

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Maybe you should just take your car elsewhere :lol: . Its fairly easy to tune, you could do it yourself easily, if you wanted to that is. Hopefully he doesn't muck it all up, good luck!

Alex

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alex. Will see what happens!!!
And when it comes to tuning, I'm clueless. To many numbers for me to look at LOL

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Its not that hard to tune and as Alex posted the stock ecu is already pull timing to some extent (tt ecu) NA ecu will not pull nearly as much as naturally it was never meant to see boost. So you tune accordingly and richen it up a bit on the big end to make things safer.

Many people with NA-T setups are using the system with no issues.

Hope that helps.

Alex thanks for chiming in.

Ben

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ben thanks for the info. Is there any way that you can call him and fill him in and let him know what needs to be done? If so I will email you his number.

·
Boost Junkie
12,615 Posts
That is the problem. People say things won't work because they don't have any experience with certain products. Obviously it does work as many NAT guys are using it. I would ask around and take it elsewhere.

Steve K.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Ben,
For NA-T, around what RPM should we start to richen it up? I'm guessing around 4000-ish RPM which is where our crazy timing advance is, but do you have an exact number?
Also, what is the ideal A/F ratio you guys shoot for? I'm Sp63 with 7.5psi spring for now.

Thanks

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
Ben,
For NA-T, around what RPM should we start to richen it up? I'm guessing around 4000-ish RPM which is where our crazy timing advance is, but do you have an exact number?
Also, what is the ideal A/F ratio you guys shoot for? I'm Sp63 with 7.5psi spring for now.

Thanks
There is no "crazy timing advance" in the NA ECU. Its a bit more aggressive than the TT ECU, but by no means crazy. I can remember back in the early days with my 94 NA-T running 30 psi on stock timing with 110 octane fuel. The motor ran for over a year like that almost every weekend. These motors can take alot more than any NA-T owner will ever dish out realistically. Our Stage 2 NA-T kit runs 14 psi with 8.8:1 compression and stock ignition timing, with no troubles at all. You can run a nice, safe A/F ratio of 11.8:1 with stock timing and be plenty safe. Find another tuner if you need to, this is very easy to do!

Thanks
JH

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Thanks for grabbing that JH. It's getting harder and harder for me to keep up with all the threads I'm in. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts