Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some turbos that produce more torque than others ? I have observed through my years within the supra game that the predominant concern seems to be horsepower, however based on my knowledge/research don't you need torque and rpms to equate horsepower ? Please correct/educate me if I am wrong. What are the things that has the greatest affect on torque with our motors without changing the stroke and displacement ?Is it turbo/housing design, fuel, tuning...etc.etc...? For instance I have seen some comparisons between the closely sized 66mm and 67mm turbos and the 66mm seems to be a torque monster while the 67mm appears to shine more on the Horsepower side. Someone with accurate info/knowledge please shine some light, Thanks !

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Nitrous is a great way to produce torque on our cars!

but on a simpler note

(hp * 5252)/rpm = torque

so the smaller the rpm the power is produced at, the larger the torque number will be....

therefore a turbo that spools quicker will produce more torque... that generally means a smaller a/r or overall smaller turbo

also other ways of increaser torque are lowering drivetrain loss, increasing displacement, or increasing low RPM efficiency (like porting the head)

if you look at the equation closely you will note its kind of a trade off, a high horsepower car will TEND not to produce too much torque, meanwhile a high torque car will TEND not to produce much horsepower (this is only true for the peaks... hp/tq under the curve is a different story)

more information about this topic here

What is torque? http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm
hp vs tq ratings? http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm
force power torque and energy? http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte.htm
what is horsepower? http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

read all those and all your questions will be answered

btw... your welcome

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You So Much for taking the time out to share all that info, greatly appreciated ! Anyone with more info/methods, please chime in !

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
there are also things you can do to get more midrange power - for example, running the A/F leaner than usual in the middle rpm range. this creates a higher combustion temp, yuo get hotter (re: faster) exhaust gases, and the turbo will spool more quickly.

you should obviously entrust this to someone w/ some experience.

·
Banned
663 Posts
Tuning around the peak torque are is the most critical area of a motor..this is where you are likely to incur the most damage because the cylinder pressure is at its highest. So just be careful pouring in the timing or going super lean to get a number. As the old saying goes: you can't win if you can't finish.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any more recent tuning techniques that can help to produce more torque with our inline motors ? I remember back in the day when 61& 63mm turbos were producing torque close to or identical to the hp numbers. Don't see much of that today....why is that ?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Small twins, Short runner Exhaust manifold,long runner intake manifold, smaller intake plenum, smaller exhaust housing on a smaller single, running more boost though smaller diameter Intercooler piping and smaller intercooler, less fuel, e-85 fuel, Nitrous.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
You should be able to get more TQ with tuning, like said abnove slightly leaner a/fs durring spool up and more ign timing, smaller a/r turbine housings can make the turbo spool up quicker but they tend to fall of in the top end.

We recently tuned a 2jz with a DBB T67 and made 485 whp and 480 TQ!!! at 17.5 psi. 67mm's have a pretty good power band on the 2j, but the new 62-63 mm billet and BW turbo's would be better suited for TQ as they will spool up quicker and still flow great in the top end.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible that certain turbos (all other things being equal) produce more torque than others based on design characteristics ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I remember back in the day when 61& 63mm turbos were producing torque close to or identical to the hp numbers. Don't see much of that today....why is that ?
because your not cool unless your pushing 1k+whp

just remember toque and horsepower are directly related, you may find that some very big hp cars are making the same torque as an average streeter, but does so at double the rpm, they're still making the same torque though. also seems as though you too are just chasing a number, albeit torque instead of horsepower.

what you want is the widest possible torque curve. if someone says car A makes 500tq but chokes up early, but car B makes 450nm from 2500-8000rpm, what would be the better car to drive? despite having less torque... i started a thread on this very topic:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584191

might be the same info your looking for?

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
I know some people who know nothing about TQ or even what it is ... Just asking about big hp and boost :rolleyes:
... pure stupidity :rofl: .

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
what kind of torque have you been able to produce with your DBB6765 turbo ?
Currently the car tuned for 12 psi only with 20 deg timing and 11.5 A/F using 95 octane pump gas ... waiting to install the HPF clutch which is planned next week.
But the nearest GOOD dyno is about 300 miles from me :wtf: .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you'll find that most torque-heavy turbo setups have relatively small hotsides and often wind up the turbo to pretty high boost levels. Take an Evo X for an example. It's rated at 300tq and 291hp for the USDM models. The factory twin scroll turbo winds up to around 23psi in the mid range and then the OEM boost controller winds it down. This is a 2 liter engine.

So on a Supra application you can take a turbo that is considered "medium" or "smaller" like a 60-1 T04S and take it up to 20 psi (or whatever you feel is safe for your setup) with say a .63 A/R twin scroll turbine housing. Yes that will hold you back up top, but it all depends what you want out of the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you'll find that most torque-heavy turbo setups have relatively small hotsides and often wind up the turbo to pretty high boost levels. Take an Evo X for an example. It's rated at 300tq and 291hp for the USDM models. The factory twin scroll turbo winds up to around 23psi in the mid range and then the OEM boost controller winds it down. This is a 2 liter engine.

So on a Supra application you can take a turbo that is considered "medium" or "smaller" like a 60-1 T04S and take it up to 20 psi (or whatever you feel is safe for your setup) with say a .63 A/R twin scroll turbine housing. Yes that will hold you back up top, but it all depends what you want out of the car.
I follow and have seen results to support what you are saying .

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
A common downfall on the supra is that the trq falls off around 6500ish on most motors. How can you help create a flat trq curve? Is that in the tune and the timing?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A common downfall on the supra is that the trq falls off around 6500ish on most motors. How can you help create a flat trq curve? Is that in the tune and the timing?
Great question Hukhuksupra, I was wondering the same thing, hopefully someone with accurate tuning experience/knowledge can answer this for us ....anyone ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts