Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, i just recently got a hks ssqv. it was a used one but it works.
that screw bolt on the back i know your suppose to tune it somehow. i have searched and read that its suppose to make a squek or chirp sound.
i have all the mods listed below and are running about 12-13.5psi.
if i punch it and build full boost and shift or if i just let go of the gas it makes a
psh psh psh psh psh sound.

tonight i was messing around thinking about why it doesnt make that chirp sound like all the other cars do when they shift. so i went driving and i tried a few things with the gas and well... i punch it and build full boost and ease off the throttle it will make a whistle sound like a long ass chirp. then i tried just shifting kinda fast at full boost and it will just barely make a little chirp not like i think it should.

if im just idling and i push the gas and rev it to like 4-5k it will make a psh psh psh and i can feel the air coming out of the BOV (not recirc.)
it idles just like it always has but i read that your suppose to adjust the bov at idle till it idles right so i guess i cant do that since it idles fine.

if you back the screw all the way out what does that do? all the way in?
MINE is almost backed all the way out.

Heres another question. the BOV already came on the pipe. i was wondering how can you turn it on the flange?

PLEASE HELP- i dont want Surge!

·
Registered
689 Posts
i'm goin thru the same thing with mine right now, do you backfire a lot also? i've gotten mine adjusted pretty good i think, but i still backfire sometimes and i hear that if you adjust it just right you wont even backfire.

that first paragraph about the shifting fast and only hearing a short chirp sounds about right, because you only really want to leak boost while shifting, while your throttle body is closed, then you want that boost back as soon as your TB opens again. So the faster you shift then you can expect less of a blow off.

same with what you said about easing off the throttle after full boost. your TB closes and you will hear a long psssh because thats whats supposed to happen :)

if you back the screw out all the way the screw falls out, i found that out the hard way, and you can tighten it down all the way, i had mine to both extremes. mine seems to work best about 2 turns out from fully tightened.

and im not sure what you describe as the psh psh psh psh but maybe you are hearing wastegate flutter? i'm not sure what you mean by that.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I dont know who Serge is... but the thing your trying to avoid is SURGE.... ANYWAYS..

loosen the screw all the way till thier is almost no resistance on it... go drive... if the car dies after boosting then crank it down a lil... keep tightening till it wont die.. with mine EVERY so often it would die.. like maybe once every 2 weeks or soo. I knew how to avoid it though so I just drove around it.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well i have it vented and my car does not die or anything or bog when i shift. and i unpluged the vacum line to the stock bypass valve.
i had it backed all the way out when i first put it on and it never died.

sometimes when i shift i get a backfire but its done that even before i got the ssqv.
when i hit full boost and then just let go of the gas it goes psh psh like it flutters. same as when im idleing and rev it high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read somewhere that the ssqv will not leak so for that reason it works best to have it backed out further so it will release quicker...no idea how truthfull that is though. Mine's backed out quite a ways, (never backed it all the way out) so it activates quicker(gives it more of a woosh sound when its back further rather than a chirp when its tight. so maybe that answers your question about sound?) I run about 18 PSI with no leaks at WOT.

and like iheart6bangers said I think the psh psh psh psh is just wastegate flutter, I get that sometimes.

·
Oh What A Feeling !!!
606 Posts
I never adjusted my SSQ when I got mine and it works fine. But I get a fluttering sound in low boost. Is that bad ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't heard anything about it being bad, I always just assumed it was one of those things that just happens. :dunno:

G

·
Suprasonica said:
I never adjusted my SSQ when I got mine and it works fine. But I get a fluttering sound in low boost. Is that bad ?

That’s fine, if you read the directions that come with the ssq is tells you not to adjust the screw. It is preset from the factory, for optimal release. You should only adjust it if your running high boost I guess.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why should it flutter though? it doesnt ever squeek unless i let off slowly. all the other times it flutters. cuz i thought they all are suppose to make that high pitched chirp.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am having the exact same issues as you guys with my SSQV. I backed my screw out more and that seems to have improved things. Can anyone accurately describle what compressor surge sounds like? I hear fluttering and the psh psh psh sounds you speak of (i think) and am worried that it's surge. What exactly does surge sound like, and how can it be eliminated?

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
my hks bov has a covering in the back ..i dont see a adjustment screw...i would leave it the way it came from the factory

·
Oh What A Feeling !!!
606 Posts
I was expecting the chirping sound when I installed mine but it has a nice PSSSHHHH. Sounds better than the chirping :coold:

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine doesnt do just one woooosh, or ppssssshhhhhh, or chiiiirrrrrppp.
it goes psh psh psh psh psh psh.

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
HEh... mine has the psh psh psh sound to, ive been tryin to figure out how to get rid of the flutter cuz all my friends give me shit about it. So what do you guys mean by wastegate flutter

·
Scratching and Sniffing
2,849 Posts
I think the sound depends on the type of insert used in the valve (purple or gold) I believe. You can order them from MVP as I've seen them on their site.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see a purple thing behind the little 3 fins.

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
it says on the description that purple is for lower sound and the gold is for higher.... it says nothing about different sound types, and mine makes the psh psh psh psh sound anywhere from 0 to 11 PSI

G

·
Check your one way valves if you guys are using them. I had his bov on my wrx, and the plastic one way valve they give you cracked down the center and caused the same sort of problems.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
I have one.. put it on my buddies car till mine is back on the road. I have the screw almost all the way out.. works fine.. it flutters, but itsn't compressor surge.. it flutters at low flow.. anywhere from -5 in hg to 3-4 psi itll fluttler a little.. after that it makes a nice loud chrip fallowed by air noise... like they sound in videos and what not.. its made so it seals under boost, so dont have to worry about it leaking (unless its bad ????)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts