Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited the local audio shop (Sensuous Sounds) and they quoted me about $500 to fully tune my stereo system, the guy was really nice and told me I can do most of it myself by ear so it wouldn't take them too long to tune it on the RTA's, which drops the price (which is an hourly rate)

So my question is.. how many of you have any experience tuning at all? I have a sealed box, trying to find out which freq. my bass will be right at

The major tuning comes into play with the 2 1/3 octaves I have for the front channel, I've searched the internet but cannot seem to find any helpful links

Anyone experienced with any of this?

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
Are you planning on entering any stereo comps where they use an rta to judge your system? If not, then having your system tuned to a flat curve via rta will probably not sound good to you. I've trophied in every comp I have entered with my set up, and I don't even have an eq :) The comps around here however do not use an rta for the sq portion, they are judged subjectively by ears of the judge.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Myself, I downloaded some pure test tones from 20hz to 20khz and some that scan through the range, loaded them in my MP3 player and just listened to them while playing with various settings. Mine was really just to get the gain and sub x-over to balance nicely, but complex setups only need more time to do it the same way. From there, listen to some tunes and make final adjustments.

Bob

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I would like to enter in competitions, I am not sure if they use RTA's here for the competitions or not

I have a pretty serious setup it just needs to be tuned badly

With all the settings on the Amp, main EQ, and the 1/3 octaves it makes it pretty hard to tune by ear

I really would like to start going to competitions... its something different than I have done before

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Peter (Magic), I set me freq. on the amp for the rears to 85hz as well up in the front on the EQ and it sounds amazing!!!!

The Eclipse 8710's are damn nice

Next mission; find a good freq. for the highs/mids which already sound amazing, then get the 1/3 octaves tuned in the future for competitions

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 10" Eclipse 8710.4, 4 sets of Focal 130KS, Zapco Z400C4-SL 1 ohm stable Competition Amp, Zapco SX-SL Equalizer, 2 Zapco EQ30-SL 30 Band Equalizers..

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
hmm..never thought about tuning my system, wouldnt want to pay $500 though!...I have 3 10" Alpine type s subs in a fiberglass enclsoure, 2 caps, and 6.5" alpine type R's in the front and in the back, clarion tv headunit with built in Eq, and it sounds pretty good, but I wonder if I could get it to sound better with some tunning??..I think my installer may have done that before though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts