Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys tried to search but didn't come up with much. I'm looking to tune my supra. Currently i'm basically bpu. I have a 94 tt 6 speed with hks intercooler, dp, and carbon ti exhaust all on stock turbos. I just bought a safc II, greddy bcc, aem uego wideband, and aem tru boost. I want to get a dyno tune done. My question is can i tune this with just the safc II or do i need to get a hks vpc also. Basically i just want to get the most power out of my setup. Is there anything else you guys would recomend on going bpu??? Thanks

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
You can use just the safcII for tweaking the a/f so you're not so rich when you're into boost, which is typical of BPU Supras. The VPC is just another step, allows you to replace the stock MAF with a VPC's MAP setup. But plenty of people have made good power with the stock MAF so it depends which way you want to go with a/f metering. One thing about the VPC is, IMO, if you end up using a BOV that you might want to vent to atmosphere, you should go with a MAP to avoid stumbling and sudden rich a/f's when the BOV vents air.

You might already know, but with the shitty gasoline in CA, I guess you're premium pump is only 91 oct, I wouldn't boost over 15 psi on that piss or you'll no doubt have the ECU pull timing. So a nice big jump in potential power is using racegas and crank up the boost...of course make sure you have all the basic maintenance up to par and everything is working normally.

What clutch do you have? If stock, I doubt it will last long unless you baby it. So start preparing for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^
Thanks bro for the info! As for the clutch i think it might be ACT. When i bought the car the guy couldn't remember what kind of clutch he put in. He just said it was yellow. So i think ACT clutch and flywheel cuz it chatters like crazy. I bought a oem flywheel and i'm looking for a clutch. Any suggestions? My plans are bpu for now and maybe small single later.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Nick gave you some great advice. If you are a simple BPU setup you can just tune it with the SAFC. Infact you can do it yourself with a wideband and some datalogging. Just tune everything above 4k rpms under full throttle. That will keep your oem ecu happy because you won't be effecting the closed loop operation.

As far as a clutch, I have the South Bend TZ series clutch and I really like it. It has a slightly higher pedal feel, but it is very smooth and has held the power I make on BPU++ and a single. Just keep reading and searching and you will see that the BPU path is pretty much laid out as far as what parts to get and how much power to expect.

·
Dominicano
1,679 Posts
I ran a SAFC II with my bpu supra your gonna have a small lean spot for sure with the obd1 ecu's gas restriction but your probably only gonna run 15 16 psi so it wont be as bad.

Oh and what the guy said on top of me about tweeking everything past 4k is about right just hit the High way and have some fun. With your wide band set up you know when your leaning the car out its really not hard, only thing is you wont have your dyno number :/

·
Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,636 Posts
i have a very close set-up, i have a small 61mm single, down pipe, mid pipe, HKS exhuast, intercooler, bov, etc.

im also looking into tunning my car with the SAFCII...im currently running real rich right now, but i guess i also would need a WideBand..!!

-ill follow this thread closely...!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I liked my old VPC/ SAFC combo. If the temp swung 20-30 degrees that car would usually run rich or lean out. I had to adjust it depending on conditions but usually it was just a run in 3-4 gear to adjust the settings a tad.

Staats

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Browse the MKIV website (www.mkiv.com)

There's a nice step-by-step installation guide for the SAFC. I followed it and it runs fine. BPU as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts