Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 supra base model with W58 5 speed transmission. I'm getting a 2JZGTE engine installed with no mods until I figure out what I want to do to it. My ideal project is to push about 600 HP without nitrous. What do you guys recommend? I still want this car to still be a daily driver

·
Registered
596 Posts
Your around 320 stock with the gte. So add a 300 shot and you'll be at your goal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to avoid nitrous. thinking of maybe Brian crower camshafts, single turbo setup, greddy or hks bov, nice performance intercooler and radiator system, hks exhaust, 850-1000cc injectors, hks adjustable gear cams, greddy pulley kit and a spec performance clutch for up to 575 lb/torque. How much power will this generate...give or take? Will my transmission handle this? (W58) also what else do I need if I'm not at 600 HP?

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
Will my transmission handle this? (W58) also what else do I need if I'm not at 600 HP?
No. There's info all over the forums on the lack of durability of the W58. You'd be better off doing a full aristo swap, including the auto transmission, than sticking with the W58 for 400+ whp. I suggest you really start reading a LOT of the build threads and searches to learn what others have done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically I need to get me a 6 speed getrag to really make this happen. At least that's what it sounds like

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
why are your goals a certain HP number? personally, i would choose what you want out of your car and if its to be a proven daily driver with no issues, just stick with tried and proven BPU+ setups. 420 rhwp is plenty fun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
why are your goals a certain HP number? personally, i would choose what you want out of your car and if its to be a proven daily driver with no issues, just stick with tried and proven BPU+ setups. 420 rhwp is plenty fun.
Agree'd. The higher in HP you get, the less DD a car usually gets. If you plan to drive the supra daily, i'd go with BPU+ as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agree'd. The higher in HP you get, the less DD a car usually gets. If you plan to drive the supra daily, i'd go with BPU+ as well.
Exactly what these two gentlemen just said.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
For your power goal you will need a single turbo, tubular manifold, head work is nice if you can afford it. Get a port and polish too. Lots of tuners like to just cram extra boost in but the port polish makes a big difference. Lightweight valve spring retainers and upgraded springs can help. Don't just go and grab the hardest springs out there though. Just get springs with enough pressure to keep the valves from floating at your target rpm with your chosen cams. Get the smallest turbo you can that will produce the power you want in its efficiency range. A 58 or 62mm would be perfect for your stated goal. Go ball bearijg for faster spool but keep im mind higher maintenance. Journal is fine too but figure about 500 rpm slower spool. Also a standalone is pretty much required. You can get away with the vpc and sfc combos but they don't really work in a way thats healthy for your engine long term and all the electronics combined won't be much cheaper than a decent EMS anyway.

Lots of people run aem v2 on here. I like motec or proefi personally but those are a little more money.

If you want to spend a bit more money get a good intake manifold and larger throttle body. Also keep in minds pushing 600hp you will wear out the bottom end faster. A full build is always recommended but these engines can handle 600 for quite a while with the factory guts. As for the fuel sustem, dual staged pumps and 850-1000cc injectors will be adequate. That's not everything but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man! Gives me a better idea. I just want a fast reliable Supra! Just got mine so I'm very excited. I like to hear people's opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
really your first concern should be transmission, 600 is easy on a GTE that won't take much effort. Like Samurai said look at other tranny options. Then build the motor after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts