Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Supratruck Pilot
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this past weekend, I'm considering a Turbo 400 transmission and stall convertor for my truck. It made great horsepower on the dyno but the combination of the SP67, stock auto tranny/stall, and 32" tall tires makes it a dog on takeoff. Sure, it is awesome from a 30mph roll but most strips I've been at don't allow a 30mph headstart :)
Not having $5k to throw down on a 400 from some of the big aftermarket guys, I'm thinking of putting together my own tranny built by a local guy, and get the adaptor and other necessary parts from SP. I can get a Turbo 400 built to easily withstand the hp I'm putting out for around $750. Then a grand or two more for the other necessary parts. Has anyone here went this route? If so, I would like to hear your story, successful or not, and if you had it to do over again, would you. And yes, I searched.

One more thing, has anyone heard of Midwest torque convertors? I hear they can make a stall torque convertor for the 400 with the 2JZ bolt pattern.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
DLC, how is the manifold holding up? Did you get any creep or any other issues? Back on topic........I believe the TH400's are WAY overpriced and I dont know why. Around here(NC) people have been running these tranny's for years in drag cars and can literally be found dirt cheap. I can only guess that the tranny isnt as popular in other areas, hence the price? Just making a wild guess, on that scenario. I do know that there is NO reason a Turbo 400 should cost what it does for Supra guys though.

Jason

·
4,109 Posts
I personally know of one person who got a -400 built by a respected local builder and managed to blow it up with the quickness. The main problem with the 'local' builds is that they are being built by guys accustomed to putting them behind domestic engines that top out at around 5800-6000 rpms. Revs and the way that the 2JZ's power typically ramps up so drastically are what kills them; there are some turbos used on the 2JZ that don't hit full spool till the revs mentioned without nitrous, and then power climbs drastically. I also believe the prices on 2JZ-specific TH-400 builds are high, but then again, I have yet to hear of a long-term successful 'local' build -400. YMMV

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
HotSoup said:
I do know that there is NO reason a Turbo 400 should cost what it does for Supra guys though.

Jason

What exactly do you think a good 400 should cost?? Keeping in mind that one critical part alone in building a 400 to withstand our revs is over $1000..... just for one part.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I don't have a "big name" kit on my car. Straight up Chevy TH400 and Chevy TC. This maybe a surprise to everyone - but believe it or not - there are plenty of big inch domestic cars turning RPMs and making way more power than any of us.

I had at least 35-40+ passes on my th400 last year, shifting at 8200rpm. We took it apart this past March - it was still fine inside. Did a simple refresh on it and sent the stall back to ProTorque for a refresh...done.

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
gee I think I have posted like 3-4 of these threads,.. I wonder/hope this one lasts and provides some usefull information for us DIYers

·
Supratruck Pilot
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Philly Single said:
I don't have a "big name" kit on my car. Straight up Chevy TH400 and Chevy TC. This maybe a surprise to everyone - but believe it or not - there are plenty of big inch domestic cars turning RPMs and making way more power than any of us.

I had at least 35-40+ passes on my th400 last year, shifting at 8200rpm. We took it apart this past March - it was still fine inside. Did a simple refresh on it and sent the stall back to ProTorque for a refresh...done.
Care to share the specs of your transmission? I'd be interested in knowing what parts went into it and what mods were made, if any. If not, hit me up on pm.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Sure, I'm in Hawaii right now and flying home tomorrow. I'll hit up the shop that built it, it's local here in NJ - nothing top secret - I'm sure they'd be willing to build more :D I'll track down the specs...

Stay tuned....
Jay

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
Still Waiting Philly,.. ID really like to know :D

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
talltrini10 said:
I personally know of one person who got a -400 built by a respected local builder and managed to blow it up with the quickness. The main problem with the 'local' builds is that they are being built by guys accustomed to putting them behind domestic engines that top out at around 5800-6000 rpms. Revs and the way that the 2JZ's power typically ramps up so drastically are what kills them; there are some turbos used on the 2JZ that don't hit full spool till the revs mentioned without nitrous, and then power climbs drastically. I also believe the prices on 2JZ-specific TH-400 builds are high, but then again, I have yet to hear of a long-term successful 'local' build -400. YMMV

my tranny has nothing special in it and has taken a good amount of abuse from me.... no aluminum drum, just regular run of the mill shit :dunno: either the guy that built the tranny you speak of above does'nt know what he's doing or the owner of the car was overly abusive to it.. alot of people have no clue, run the shit with no coolers, stand on the converter for 8 days, silly shit... there no reason why i could'nt have a th400 built by my tranny guy for 1k dollars to take 1000hp...simple as that...its also common sense to build a tranny with your power requirements in mind, dont build a tranny for a 500hp car if your gonna be making 1200hp....matter of fact i might have another one built shortly with a trans brake and it will only run me around 1k dollars.. for the price of a sound performance th400 kit i could use paisley's adapters(that we now know you dont need crazy floor cutting like people assume,daveh has shown us that) and put a very well built Dedenbear glide in my car that i'll never break :dunno:

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
Philly Single said:
This maybe a surprise to everyone - but believe it or not - there are plenty of big inch domestic cars turning RPMs and making way more power than any of us.

exactly, i dont know why people always bring up the rpms like domestic engine dont spin :dunno: alot of smallblocks spin just as high as our little 6 cylinders...shit even alot of big block are spinning over 7k....

jay

·
Kill Story King
918 Posts
I run a built th350 3800 stall on my monte carlo 355ci. An I feel that I made the right desicion as I could have paid a lot more for the 400, but felt that building out the 350 was more cost effective, and in the long run turned out to be nice considering it is lighter, and I have seen people run seriously low numbers off, even on this forum I think 1 or 2 people use th350 modified setups for there supras. My monet runs 8500RPM with my rocker roller and cam set up. I only have small block chevy knowledge, but still 350 is a strong tranny when built right. I wish supras could run a 700r4, now that would be trouble.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
jaynite said:
exactly, i dont know why people always bring up the rpms like domestic engine dont spin :dunno: alot of smallblocks spin just as high as our little 6 cylinders...shit even alot of big block are spinning over 7k....

jay

My 302 motor from my camaro would spin to nearly 8K in stock configuration, and it had an auto backing it.

Now, before anyone says "302..that's a ford motor!" let me stop you. The 302DZ is a lesser known but highly sought after configuration in the 1st gen camaro. It was a trans-am racing derived, high reving motor tjat was originally available in the Z-28 option code (before "Z28" was an actual name). It was basically a 327 block w/ a 283 crank. It's power band was MUCH higher than that of a 350/396 motor of the day. Great for road racing, but not so much for the street when you would get walked by the much larger displacement muclecars at the lights.

·
Professional OT Bum
654 Posts
STSleeper94 said:
I wish supras could run a 700r4, now that would be trouble.

I agree I had a 700r4 in my 95 z28 that was a blast to race with no 4l60e bullshit of breaking down.. and with the option of a transbrake it was a great tranny. why is it not able to work with supras?

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
NastyOutTheHole said:
I agree I had a 700r4 in my 95 z28 that was a blast to race with no 4l60e bullshit of breaking down.. and with the option of a transbrake it was a great tranny. why is it not able to work with supras?

it is, just get one with a TH400 BOP/GM ultra bell bell housing

someone correct me if im wrong,..

also jaynite,... any specific internals you mind sharing with us,...
Im serious intrested in dropping my stock auto and going with a built th350
im only gonna be pushing 750hp MAX
so if you dont mind drop me a pm or somthing,.. i have pmed you a few times in the past but never got a responc,.. same with philly single. Just looking for some help
Ramiro

·
Supratruck Pilot
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for the input. I picked up a TH400 this week from a friend of mine. It came from his 900+hp dragcar and has a TCI transbrake and all the goodies. It has been sitting for a few years so I am having it gone through by the guy who built it. $250, what a deal :bigthumb:

Also purchased a Midwest 4400 stall converter, trans shield, lokar dipstick, and most of the other goodies necessary for the swap. I'll try to give an update once it all comes together.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts