Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of her sitting in my garage and me just collecting parts from Yahoo Japan Auction I finally got the old girl back in the shop to continue the restoration. I waited years in line for my turn to get her over to Driftmotion for a rebuild, but unfortunately Aaron had to close down the rebuild side of the house so she sat around as I looked for the right shop that I could trust.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Grille
Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Office equipment Gas Machine

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Out of the whole build this is my favorite piece so far. I have OCD and the engine wire harness plastic cover that rots and cracks drives me insane. This solid aluminum piece looks amazing and fits perfectly. OEM AF. These might be for sale for anyone that needs to fix this on their 7M’s soon.
Road surface Asphalt Tar Tints and shades Beach

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Tire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately as I was opening up boxes I realized I bought the wrong color for some of the replacement interior parts. This stung a little. Shadow grey interior definitely does not match the grey interior that I have. Mistakes have been made!

Table Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Bag Rectangle Communication Device Grey Gadget

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m going for as OEM as possible with this car with very minimal upgrades visible. I know the Recaro floor mats don’t match the Turbo-A, but they just look so cool to me that I had to mix them in there. I almost did a digital dash conversion for the cool factor, but decided that would take away from the Turbo-A too much and make it look too modded.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Rectangle

Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle

White Motor vehicle Line Automotive tire Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Alpine 7273 is cherry and period-correct! I think it was before 6 disc changers…but I bet you can Bluetooth some tunes in with an FM modulator.
I haven’t been able to find a mint OEM head unit so figured a period correct Alpine setup with an equalizer would still be amazing. I’m definitely having it retrofitted with a Bluetooth. The sound quality won’t be as great as a newer head unit but that’s ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sweet build bro, got some pics with the shadow gray next to the medium gray your car came with?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sweet build bro, got some pics with the shadow gray next to the medium gray your car came with?
I don’t have any side by side pics but I will do some when I get the car back. I can also put the shadow vs medium gray dashboards next to each other because I was finally able to source another uncracked RHD dash that is the correct grey. Here is what my interior looks like right now. The seat color is a little off because I had it reupholstered, and they are actually getting reupholstered again right now. The ones in the picture are the fake pleather material and I didn’t like the feel of it plus my wife’s cat scratched up the back seats, so I’m doing real leather this time and tried to match it to the OEM color the best I could.

Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle

Car Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Here is where the cat scratched up the seats. Never again will I park it in the garage with the windows down.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
I don't know if you're the same guy, but I visited Aaron in 2014 to see if he could work on an all HKS MKIII I was very close to purchasing. He told me he couldn't take the car because he had just purchased FSR and had at least a year long waiting line.

He specifically mentioned a Turbo A owner who had already been waiting 8-9 months and that car was one of his priorities. Props to you if you're that guy and congrats as well if you're not.

The car is CLEAN and your restoration plan is on point. I finally found my MKIII in Alabama later that year.

Ken.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fuck me, that is one dream car you have. Quite eager to follow this one go along.

Who made that airbox? Definitely not factory, looks really good.
Factory turbo-A I believe, that ECU ran MAP+IAT instead of AFM+IAT like the peasant 7MGTEs did. You'll see it's missing the karman vortex AFM.

I find it quite funny it uses the same crap plastic elbow thing to bring the air from the intercooler into the bay. I would've thought they made it larger on the Turbo-As.

@[email protected] do you know the dimensions of the exhaust or if there are any differences compared to a standard 7MGTE?

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know if you're the same guy, but I visited Aaron in 2014 to see if he could work on an all HKS MKIII I was very close to purchasing. He told me he couldn't take the car because he had just purchased FSR and had at least a year long waiting line.

He specifically mentioned a Turbo A owner who had already been waiting 8-9 months and that car was one of his priorities. Props to you if you're that guy and congrats as well if you're not.

The car is CLEAN and your restoration plan is on point. I finally found my MKIII in Alabama later that year.

Ken.
Haha yup that was me he was talking about. I waited for years to get Aaron to rebuild it. But things kept coming up and after COVID he had to shut down FSR and the rebuild side of the house. I was able to find a great shop in San Diego though so she’s in great hands. Deeps Garage is working on her right now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Turbo A got its own unique air box which was larger than stock. I haven't seen enough of them to know if this is OEM or not. The piping for Turbo A was larger also from what I've read. It had a larger turbo, and higher lift cams. Here is a nice write up with photos and history of the Turbo A.
It’s actually a factory air box that came with the Turbo-A Supra. I really like the look of it also and the fresh powder coat really made it pop in the engine bay.
oh wow, the more you know. Yeah that powder coat is chef's kiss

1 - 20 of 58 Posts