Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys wondering if mk3 N/A and Turbo alternator can be interchangable????

I noticed that the N/A alternator has a slightly bigger positive bolt where the battery connector hook up to the alternator.

I have a 91 turbo reman alternator

making a shit load of noise sound like the shaft bearing is fukk

so i got an N/A lying around wondering if i could just swap it

thanx

·
WhorE
504 Posts
i swapped a turbo alternator into my n/a, all you have to do is make the eyelit bigger, thats all i did, mine hasn't caught fire yet hehe

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my turbo ALT. went out and i put my N/A parts car ALT in. its 10 amps lower but it works.
bolted right in.

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
91TurboA said:
Hey guys wondering if mk3 N/A and Turbo alternator can be interchangable???? ...............

thanx
Yes they are interchangable but the GTE had a stock ND 80 amp alt. while the GE only had a 70 amp, so the GTE's alt. would be OK to put in a GE but you would be putting out 10 amps less the other way. [see TSRM spec. pg A-15]
~ mike

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
I was sold an NA amp by mistake when I had ordered a turbo 80 amp alt. I couldn't even compare the two because they need my core. My car's electrical system was completely messed up, battery died multiple times and my abs light always lit up. It didn't last more than 200 miles. However I may have been sold a dud, seeing as how no one has described any real problems with the 70 amp on the turbo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx

i just install the n/a n my 91

seem to be working ok for now

at idle 15v cant complain it was free

oh well

well see

i'll post if there are problems

as for the reman holly shit

the rear bearings were in pieces

damn

·
Registered
707 Posts
The turbo models have a 80amp alternator, while the N/A's have a 70amp. You should be fine though unless you have a big stereo system or something that draws a lot of current.

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
The turbo model does have an increased electrical load over the N/A. The biggest difference is the extra 3rd electric fan in front of the a/c condenser ( it's the big pusher fan known as the #3 fan, gte only). You also have an electric vacuum pump that's needed on the turbo for the cruise control system that is turned on by a vacuum switch when there is not enough engine vacuum when boosting. The turbo's ignition system uses more current than the N/A as the coil pack used on the turbo fires 2 spark plugs at the same time for each 1 plug fire on the N/A which uses a conventional distributor. Also on the '91^ turbo model, ABS became standard. The electric pump motor that pressurizes the system draws additional current ( fused on a 60 amp circuit). <Big current draw as I've noticed the lights blink when the ABS pump motor kicks in after a brake application that required ABS.
So I would not use the N/A's 70 amp in place of the GTE's 80 amp alt.
IMO, 10 amps isn't that big of a difference but Toyota engineers must of felt it was not enough for the electrical load of the turbo model.

~ mike

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
MixMasterP2k3 said:
I was sold an NA amp by mistake when I had ordered a turbo 80 amp alt. I couldn't even compare the two because they need my core. My car's electrical system was completely messed up, battery died multiple times and my abs light always lit up. It didn't last more than 200 miles. However I may have been sold a dud, seeing as how no one has described any real problems with the 70 amp on the turbo.
the fact that it was an alt. from an NA had nothing to do with your problems. the alt was bad, or you had other electrical problems.

i ran an NA alt for several thousand miles with NO ill effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts