·
Cultured Development
319 Posts
Sounds like HKS Racing type II

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it might just be that the wastegate is set up with tight springs so that the turbo flutters a little but hes shifting too quickly to hear the usual "woootootootootoo" sound. And correct me if I'm wrong, but compressor surge is when boost is being built up too quickly for the engine to take in, so while under acceleration it gets shot back through the turbo. Turbo flutter is different in the sense that it is harmless and happens when the throttle body suddenly closes.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I didnt no compressor surge chirps wen shifting? And yes it is a hks type 2 bov cause that car was for sale at a point and I remember reading wat it had done to it. Besides I bought that bov cause of the sound so im pretty familar with it.

·
LAGZILLA
734 Posts
I think it might just be that the wastegate is set up with tight springs so that the turbo flutters a little but hes shifting too quickly to hear the usual "woootootootootoo" sound. And correct me if I'm wrong, but compressor surge is when boost is being built up too quickly for the engine to take in, so while under acceleration it gets shot back through the turbo. Turbo flutter is different in the sense that it is harmless and happens when the throttle body suddenly closes.
What you are hearing is turbo surge/flutter Which is bad for the turbo. A bov is designed to protect a turbo when the throttle body closes, Once the throttle body closes after the turbo starts to make pressure the air the turbo is compressing into boost has no where to go but out the front of Turbo ,which is the sound you hear (surge ,flutter). Surge comes from either a bov that is not opening fast enough or is not leting enough air out, or not working at all. Wastegate has nothing to do with the surge of the turbo, A wastegate is how boost is controlled.

·
LAGZILLA
734 Posts
I didnt no compressor surge chirps wen shifting? And yes it is a hks type 2 bov cause that car was for sale at a point and I remember reading wat it had done to it. Besides I bought that bov cause of the sound so im pretty familar with it.
A bov opens with vacume, When you shift your foot comes off the gas for a second or two closing the throttle body ,making vacume to open the bov leting out presure. Now the valve opens so fast or not at all like i was stating before you will make surge/ flutter. This is normal for all the oldschhol bov valves if you guys notice

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Wow its not even makin a flutter! When he shifts you hear a chirp coming from the BOV not the wastegate or turbo itself. Someone show me a supra with no bov setup makin a chirp like that when shifting. I bet you wont find it. All you will hear is a ch ch ch ch ch ch ch cuz which is the pressure goin bak to the turbo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm... sounds like theres a lot of conflicting answers here. Can anyone say with certainty what exactly is going on here?

·
Registered
554 Posts
For those who think its the wastegate punch yourself in the face. Its compressor surge you tool. The sound you hear is air reversing out the compressor of the turbo. Yes, cars without BOV's make that cha cha cha cha sound which is also compressor surge. The reason this sound is a small churp is because the bov is opening late.

My rx7 did the same exact sound when the Tial BOV spring was too stiff and wouldnt open immediately.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
I'm always blown away by the stupidity of people posting that it's some kind of "wastegate" noise.

It's fucking surge...it comes from the turbo compressor... get over it.

·
LAGZILLA
734 Posts
For those who think its the wastegate punch yourself in the face. Its compressor surge you tool. The sound you hear is air reversing out the compressor of the turbo. Yes, cars without BOV's make that cha cha cha cha sound which is also compressor surge. The reason this sound is a small churp is because the bov is opening late.

My rx7 did the same exact sound when the Tial BOV spring was too stiff and wouldnt open immediately.
thank you

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
The lack of education on a simple matter is simply astounding to me..

What you are hearing is turbo surge/flutter Which is bad for the turbo. A bov is designed to protect a turbo when the throttle body closes, Once the throttle body closes after the turbo starts to make pressure the air the turbo is compressing into boost has no where to go but out the front of Turbo ,which is the sound you hear (surge ,flutter). Surge comes from either a bov that is not opening fast enough or is not leting enough air out, or not working at all. Wastegate has nothing to do with the surge of the turbo, A wastegate is how boost is controlled.
dont try too hard to sound overly intelligent, it only makes you sound dumber to those who know what you are trying to say. The turbo isnt compressing the air into boost. Boost is simply a term for positive pressure above atmospheric. period.

What you are hearing is the VERY SLIGHT compressor surge caused by the compressed air which is vibrating against the aluminum intake pipe which I can guarantee the car has. If you take off the aluminum intake pipe and replace it with a thicker metal, like the kind found on the housings of the MAF sensors on the NA-t's you will hear the choppy surge instead.

Argue all you want, but surge like this will take a VERY long time to kill the turbo, at the rate that its doing damage, the turbo will have failed from regular wear and tear. Although most would argue, but street cars see the most benefit from a blow-of valve during shifting situations where it allows the turbo to slow down minimally which in turn gives faster response once the car is at wot again.

this is the surge that kills turbos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU

and it doesnt come from a blow-off valve related issue, it comes from mismatched turbine/compressor wheels.

·
LAGZILLA
734 Posts
The lack of education on a simple matter is simply astounding to me..

dont try too hard to sound overly intelligent, it only makes you sound dumber to those who know what you are trying to say. The turbo isnt compressing the air into boost. Boost is simply a term for positive pressure above atmospheric. period.

What you are hearing is the VERY SLIGHT compressor surge caused by the compressed air which is vibrating against the aluminum intake pipe which I can guarantee the car has. If you take off the aluminum intake pipe and replace it with a thicker metal, like the kind found on the housings of the MAF sensors on the NA-t's you will hear the choppy surge instead.

Argue all you want, but surge like this will take a VERY long time to kill the turbo, at the rate that its doing damage, the turbo will have failed from regular wear and tear. Although most would argue, but street cars see the most benefit from a blow-of valve during shifting situations where it allows the turbo to slow down minimally which in turn gives faster response once the car is at wot again.

this is the surge that kills turbos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU

and it doesnt come from a blow-off valve related issue, it comes from mismatched turbine/compressor wheels.
Im not trying to sound intelligent. Im trying to explain whats going on to somone that doesnt understand at a different level , this information wouldnt be for you since you know what your talking about.. Next time i will reply, it will be different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts