Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the intake off and peeked at the compressor blades... they seemed to be slightly bent and have some chunks missing :eek3: . Refer to the damage pointed out by the yellow arrows in the attached pics.

What I'm more worried about is, what happened to that chunk of gasket/washer (or w/e it is)??? The engine still runs good... is it possible it made it's way through the system without causing too much damage?

There's no shaft play. The turbo still boosts 10psi no problem. Is it okay if I keep using this turbo or is that just asking for trouble?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't advise you to use that turbo anymore.
The shaft & wheel are out of balance and may create even more damage.

Those missing parts are perhaps lying in your intercooler. :)

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i would stongly advise against using it. at this point all you will more than likely need is a rebuild w/ a new wheel. if you let it go it could break the housing, send shrapnal into your engine, do all stuff of nice things there etc etc. turbos spin up to 100k+ rpms so its your call man

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
That area around the washer is where the metal was removed during the balancing of the unit and is there on purpose. It should be nothing to worry about providing you havent tried to turn the compressor wheel in relation to the turbine wheel. The bent blades could cause some vibration but I've seen worse with no vibration. If you aren't experiencing any vibration now then you are probably alright.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chriso said:
That area around the washer is where the metal was removed during the balancing of the unit and is there on purpose. It should be nothing to worry about providing you havent tried to turn the compressor wheel in relation to the turbine wheel. The bent blades could cause some vibration but I've seen worse with no vibration. If you aren't experiencing any vibration now then you are probably alright.
can anyone verify this?

The compressor blades are actually worse than they look in the picture. The edges on 1 or 2 blades are rigid and seraded-like and mis-shaped... as if it tried to chop up some metal or something... not smooth and sharp like the others.

I was thinking of upgrading the turbo next summer anyway. I guess I'll bump that up to this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts