Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some of the larger single turbos are quiet where some have a high pitched whistle. Whats the difference? Turbo design?
Phillip

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Yes.

Why did you post this in the Drag Racing forum?

Moving to a technical forum...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Lol, I don't believe that was a yes or no question, Dan.

First off, larger turbo's at higher PSIs tend to make a little more turbine whistle than their smaller counterparts. Secondly, one of the main things that makes a turbo loud is the housing. The housing available on tons of new Sound-Performance turbo's and the T51SPL to name a few, have a ported, anti-surge compressor housing. Do a search. It's been discussed a few times recently and the general consensus is that the sound is breath-taking.

Brandon

G

·
Anti-Surge Housing?

From the research I've been able to do, these new (actually old) compressor housing that make the turbo wistle on ones that normally wouldn't are actually made/designed for tractor trailors. The some how help the turbo manage the intake of air when the trucks are in areas where the air is less dense.

This is information I got from a reputable turbo builder...I hope it's accurate, if it isn't then maybe someone can come up with what these new/old? housing do.

Thanks,

Melvin

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Midnight Hour said:
Lol, I don't believe that was a yes or no question, Dan.
:D Sure, it was! He asked if the turbo design was the reason for the whistle. The answer is "yes".

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Re: Anti-Surge Housing?

mello2 said:
From the research I've been able to do, these new (actually old) compressor housing that make the turbo wistle on ones that normally wouldn't are actually made/designed for tractor trailors. The some how help the turbo manage the intake of air when the trucks are in areas where the air is less dense.

This is information I got from a reputable turbo builder...I hope it's accurate, if it isn't then maybe someone can come up with what these new/old? housing do.

Thanks,

Melvin

Actually it helps to keep the turbo from surging in the mid range rpm's when the turbo is pushing more air than the engine can ingest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts