Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does some one know if turbo is going bad? im starting to hear a noise comming from the engine, its not that loud but i noticed it in enclosed areas where i can hear my engine from the outside. it sounds like a marble bouncing around in my engine. or mabey not that but something similar.

let me know what the symptoms are for a turbo going bad.

thanks guys, i apreciate it.

~Adrian

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
If it sounds like a marble bouncing around inside your engine then the first thing i would be checking is your timing and what octane rating of gas you are running. It sounds like you have an issue with pinging. If you are running cheap gas, then this could likely be the cause of it. Either that or you need to check your timing because you are too far advanced... check it out. Thats what it sounds like to me. Do you notice it more so when your pushing the gas hard, and it goes away or gets better when you ease off the throttle a bit? If so then its probably pinging like i just described. Hope this helps. Its a good place to start at least, it doesnt sound like a turbo issue to me though.

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks turboB,

it might be. kinda weird though, i only put 91 octane. but ill check the timing. any i have no power loss btw. the engine is running mint. mabey its the type of gas i put? i read an article that most gas station octane ratings are not what is posted and if you have a suspition that you arent getting the octane you thought you fueled, you can have an inspector check it out and fine, close dwn the place. lol

oh well thanks again. but yea if some one else has any articles on bad turbos and symptoms, i'd still liketo read about it. thats what im afraid of most. i checked mkiv and supraforums and coulnt find anything decent.

~Adrian

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
it doesnt sound like a turbo problem, most likely pinging. When we had a bhg on the maxima it pinged like a mofo, when you here it does it happen when your accelerating hard? when its hot outside it tends to do it more because the intake air temp is warmer. Do you only notice it when its hot? when you here it check your rear view mirror for any smoke coming out the exhaust..we had it when it pinged, due to the bhg. it might just be a carbon deposit in the cylinder, Im sure theres something that could get rid of the carbon deposit, and when i fill up, i only go to reputable gas stations that are busy. out here in canada, like chevron or esso. But if the gas station doesnt get alot of buisness the gas could be sitting in teh tanks for ahwile and then if its been sitting for long enough it could go partially bad. but try differant gas from diff. stations and see if it does it.

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks 88,

that makes me feel better ^^

~Adrian

G

·
0 Posts
I fixed that problem in my car by running exclusively Chevron Gasoline. In a pinch I'll run Bp, but always chevron. Its cleaner an burns better.
Texaco premium runs as bad as their regular does, so I try to avoid them like the plague.

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know what it was? i was a little low on motor oil. i put 1 quart and it stopped making that noise. i wonder what that was all about lol.

~adrian

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea yea yea lol.

i know i know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts