Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought a .60 trim CT-26 and I have NOT had good luck with it. I now have over 700 dollars into this turbo that isnt worth near that much. Basically it needs ANOTHER rebuild and Im not paying to do it. Id rather just buy a more reliable turbo that can make more power.

So which turbo would be a step above the 60 trim CT26 upgrade? I would like to make 500RWHP on 15-18psi if possible. Motor is stock internally except for HKS MHG and ARP Studs. Also, I have the supporting mods for the power.

Im looking to spend under a grand if possible.

What would you do?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
500rwhp at only 18psi isnt very likely... you could go with a LIPP/BOSS or spgt61. they are both bolt on. they will run more than $700 though

what problems are you having with the ct-26? who built it??

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
SP61GTDBB ftw :) call tim and ask him about the new options and what its capable of

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Phyrx, you're not going to get 500+hp at 15-18psi with any direct bolt on turbo... If you're serious about making that kind of power, your best bet is to save your money and when you have enough do it right, build your motor to take it...

A great turbo for that power range, in my recommendation, would be the GT3540R... Get an exhaust housing with about .81a/r and you should be good... However, I still dont think you'll make that much power with that little boost with out doing some serious head work, change out your intake and exhaust as well... Im using a GT4067R, I dont knwo if I'll get 500 on 18psi, but I might... But then again, I've had alot of head work done and my whole set up is geared for high flow...

Good luck man...
Jake

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was rebuilt by MDCMotorsports. I'm sure the rebuild was good, it isnt the turbo's fault. It is mine. I believe I have some kind of oil problem or something. I am trying to figure it out now, as I am pulling the motor tonight. I dont know if my oil drain line is clogged or what but I primed the turbo correctly and before I installed the turbo I cranked the car over and watched the oil spew from the oil drain line. Something isnt right though and after 1 drive my brand new rebuilt turbo locked up (as in the compressor wheel WILL NOT spin, which usually equals OIL STARVATION). I'm pretty sure this is my fault so I am going to try and find out what is wrong. I'm sure the rebuild was good though as MDC has a great reputation and Jon has helpedme much over the phone.

But I figure if i'm going to spend the money I might as well fix my problem and go ahead and get something bigger.. because I want more power than I think a CT26 can safely make.

What about a T4 adapter and some kind of used T4 turbo, maybe?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ you could do that. the stock manifolds are good for up to 500hp.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Definately solve the problem before moving forward...

T4 adapters are easy to come by or buy an SSA T4 tubular manifold... You'll have to get an external waste gate and you'll need to have the w/g flange cut off and turned 90 degrees... Thats easy to do...

Im pretty leary about used turbos... I had one that was "like brand new, low miles, never been boosted hard" that died about 500 miles later... So yeah, I'll spend a little extra for a new one...

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
If you want high power with lower boost and not spool at 5000 rpm, you'll probably need to port the shit out of your head and get a better flowing exhaust manifold. A standalone wouldn't hurt either... stock electronics aren't very efficient.

·
always watching
362 Posts
I've got a greddy td06 kit for sale that will give you 400+. I'll give you for 800 shipped.

edit: oh yeah and it bolts on the the stock manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I'm with the Reign Maker on this one and think the GT35/40R is the best turbo for that range and is that I'm going with myself for the same power. Search "GT3582R" for compressor maps made by me. 79% peak efficiency is incredible on a turbo!

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I'm selling my bolt on 60-1 trim Ball Bearing Innovative turbo with lines, and a ported and coated stock manifold for 1000.00.

This turbo is about twice that new.

All lines, and fittings except for the oil fitting at the block to supply oil to the turbo, and the alloy fittings that adapt the drain to the block and CHRA. (I will give you the 45 degree elbow, and hose however.)

This turbo has consistantly made about 420rwhp at 18psi. Tourqe is where it's at on the 7M, and this setup did 470lbs at the same pressure :) (Of course, I'm running a stroker motor, so your tourqe figures may be less. Stock I belive it was close to 400lbs, or just over it.)

So, 400 wheel HP is getting you closer to 500crank, but there are few bolt on turbo's for 700.00 that will get you into the 500rwhp range.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ lets not turn this into a garage sale here...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts