Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '87 turbo supra and I also have an '89 N/A supra but it has a turbo chassis, just n/a motor and wiring harness.the turbo seals are blown in the motor and it smokes horribly but runs. I want to rebuild the motor fully along with a new turbo. Can I swap injectors to my n/a car? I know I might run richer so could I port out the throttle body to get more air in? I don't know how much of a difference it would make. With the turbo motor, I want to build a quick spooling turbo that could push at least 20psi, don't know if there is such a thing. I want to make torque at low to mid rpm, I don't know how bad hp will be, but will I be able to hit around 500 to 600hp giving that the motor was built?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
so heres the question... i think....

can i take the injectors from the turbo motor, which im planning on rebuilding, and put them into the na car and it will make more power/run better/get more torque/cure cancer?

no. you will run hilaciously rich if you got it working. pull the turbo motor, start to rebuild it after checking the faq, and reword your posts next time.

oh yea welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injector size

what size injectors does an n/a 7mgte have compared to a turbo 7mgte? How can I do a search on faqs so I'm not just reposting the many questions newbies ask?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
turbo= 7mgte = 440cc
na= 7mge = 370cc
iirc
check the mk3 faq section (right under technical) and the search is currently broken

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
N/A injectors flow less than that. Additionally, the TB on the N/A isn't nearly as big of a restriction as the AFM. Opening up the N/A's TB more may gain you some more responsiveness, but it's nothing compared to switching to a different type of air flow meter.

EDIT: IIRC, pre89 N/A injectors are 295, 89+ are 315.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I HAVE used the turbo injectors in an 88 NA, there is no impedance problem with the pre89's. IIRC, the NA injectors are either 330 or 380, in think 330.
It did not run hellaciously rich (the TCCS will compensate in closed loop, at least).
In fact, I passed emissions this way. I did, however, have to dremel out the internal AFM adjustment ring so that I could overly lean the setting for normal ops.
I did all this thinking that with my new intake, header and 2.5 inch exhaust, I might actually be able to utilize more fuel flow.
The result? No improvement whatsoever, no problem whatsoever.
I would recommend that if you want to increase fuel flow(and actually needed to), you could put in an AFPR and tweak it slightly. ALOT easier, too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
pre-89 N/A:
260 - 320 cc/min

89+ N/A:
276 - 340 cc/min

Don't ever count on the higher number being accurate.

I'd really like to know where this 380cc flow rating that everyone keeps posting about came from. Possibly the maximum acceptible flow per Toyota's specs?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
provided your '89 isn't a late '89 and does have an injector resistor, you'll be fine. though i suppose the horrid gas mileage won't be fine....or possibility of washing down the cyl walls....

as for any NA needing the extra fuel, never.....unless you've dumped in $10k in engine mods....in which case you wouldn't be reading this....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts