Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....A less common type of pressure plate is called a pull-type. Pull-type pressure plates are found on cars like the EVO, STI, some Porsches, and the Skyline GT-R. Pull-type pressure plates are also common on full race applications.....
No. the MkIII Turbo is not mentioned, but we can take solace in the fact that we enjoy the benefits of the pull-type clutch design. I will write to Turbo Mag to remind them of the MkIII Turbo. Heh, our choice of Supra is aged, but an inline six, 24-valve alum cyl head, twin cams, turbo, intercooler, pull-type clutch, wishbone suspension, LSD, ABS, Et Al, are all the hallmarks of a great machine.

I just returned from a beer run with the roof off and sped through the last two corners home in non-drift [aka fast] mode...marvelling at a Stage IV+ '89 with instant boost, on ST anti-sway bars, KYB GR2s, JIC CF STB Fr, Cusco round alum STB R, Do-Luck rear cross bar, & 17" Yokohama ES100s. Nowhere near Duane's Supra, but still so very exhilarating in its own right.

OK, I admit that I did it to get a smile out of my 16 year old boy. But it was the kind of smile that knows 400+rwhp, yet appreciates a car that is fun to drive with much less. Of course, putting a hurt on that G35 on the way home might of had something to do with it. Heh, beat silly by a 17 year old car...gotta love it.

Take care.

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
I know exactly how you feel my friend...I love this car, it is still, IMO ahead of it's time...

Khris

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
Larry_A said:
No. the MkIII Turbo is not mentioned, but we can take solace in the fact that we enjoy the benefits of the pull-type clutch design. I will write to Turbo Mag to remind them of the MkIII Turbo. Heh, our choice of Supra is aged, but an inline six, 24-valve alum cyl head, twin cams, turbo, intercooler, pull-type clutch, wishbone suspension, LSD, ABS, Et Al, are all the hallmarks of a great machine.

I just returned from a beer run with the roof off and sped through the last two corners home in non-drift [aka fast] mode...marvelling at a Stage IV+ '89 with instant boost, on ST anti-sway bars, KYB GR2s, JIC CF STB Fr, Cusco round alum STB R, Do-Luck rear cross bar, & 17" Yokohama ES100s. Nowhere near Duane's Supra, but still so very exhilarating in its own right.

OK, I admit that I did it to get a smile out of my 16 year old boy. But it was the kind of smile that knows 400+rwhp, yet appreciates a car that is fun to drive with much less. Of course, putting a hurt on that G35 on the way home might of had something to do with it. Heh, beat silly by a 17 year old car...gotta love it.

Take care.
g35's and mk3's are gay, your story sucks

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1jzSupraGuy said:
what makes a pull-type so much better anyways?
.....A pull-type pressure plate releases by pulling on the diaphragm spring instead of pushing on it.

The throwout bearing is attached to the inside of the diaphragm spring. Pull-type pressure plates have a lighter pedal effort for a given clamp load and are more efficient in developing clamp force because the diaphragm spring's fulcrum is at the outer edge of the cover and the outer diameter of the spring. Because the clamp load of the diaphragm spring is on the outer cover, there is less stress and thus less flex in the cover. With less flex, a higher clamp load can be applied to the pressure ring. This reduction of flex allows a pull-type pressure plate to have up to 30% more actual clamping force per pound of load that the spring makes over a conventional push-type pressure plate.

The pull-type pressure plate also has a much lighter effort because the outboard fulcrum gives the release arm more leverage to flatten the spring and take load off of the pressure ring. Because the pull-type pressure plate's cover is near the bolted down periphery it reduces bending load on the cover. As such, the cover can be both smaller and lighter in construction, thus reducing rotating weight. These features are the reason why many true racing clutches are pull-type....."
Take care.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Good thread,

I can see the pros of the pull type pressure plates, but what are the cons?
Why are they not used on every single production car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts