Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm driving around with my friend at about midnight. I hear this wierd knocking sound coming from the back of my car. We slow down on a fast street to listen to the sound when I hear a blow-off valve roar by. I couldn't believe it was actually a turbocharged Civic, so I caught up to the smug lil' bastard at the next light.
I looked over to my friend and asked if I should be worrying about my possible rear suspension damage. We quickly decided that this was the ONLY turbo Honda in our town, so we HAD to go at it ;).
The light turns, and I hear his tires spinning. I let the clutch out SLOW (i have my snow wheels/tires on right now:p) and the Civic gets a little jump. He shifts (it actually sounded really good)and barely starts pulling on me. I finally get out of first and start to pull even. I get half way through second and start leaving him behind. By the time I shifted into third, I was just WALKING on him, and we heard him finally let off once I shifted into fourth. I had gained over four car lengths.
I was just so proud of my first real good kill that I had to post. Sorry it was so long, but I only have a filter, plugs, wires, and full exhaust. It made me very happy knowing that I am that much faster than the fastest Honda in town :rolleyes:. Thanks for bearing with me.

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
sadly even with a turbo kit on a stock civic they'll still run a 15.0 or high 14 at best, said in an older SCC issue, but I'm glad to see MKIII's representin' Great Kill man.:D

T

·
0 Posts
yea i literally killed a turbo civic in colorado springs a couple months ago... after a few good runs the car spewed a bunch of smoke, died, and wouldn't start again :urowned:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know it really couldn't have been too fast:rolleyes: . I guess I was really just suprised to see a very tasteful Honda for a change. Man, that really doesn't say much for Civics, huh?;)

F

·
0 Posts
If you were in New York, I've got a little pos civic that might give you a better run;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Actually they can break way out of 14s. That magazine must have been really old. Ive seen several street driven into the 12s. Unfortunately all the import people around me are more concerned with making their car look fast, then actually go fast.
What mods are you running on your car?

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
good kill on the civic, gotta remind them that they have economy cars ;)

i ran a turbo'd integ in my friends 90 auto turbo. he pulled hard on my friend, then i drove his car and took him off the line bad, but i forgot to put the stupid auto into the power ect mode, so it shifted at 5k rpms into second and third and the integ caught and passed me. but i got my revenge against it later that night...took him out of the hole hard again.

F

·
0 Posts
There are so many possible turbo/engine combinations and set ups it's impossible to say "turbo civics are fast/slow." There are examples of each. It depends entirely on the platform, kit/components, and tuning. I know of a few guys around me with just a greddy kit running 7psi on stock d16s (sohc vtec). They're definitely quick, good for high 13s @100, but toward the slow end of the spectrum.

I also have a friend with a stock b16 in a del sol (dohc 1.6 vtec) running I think @12psi with a pieced together kit with t3/t04e 60trim. He tuned conservatively and managed @315whp. It's stripped so he managed to edge out a BPU+ on a highway pull.

Myself, I have a b18c (gsr motor) with JE 9:1 pistons, Eagle rods, JG head, drag turbo kit (shitty manifold) w/ t3/t04e 60 trim in a '92 hatch. I've got ghetto fuel management now (run ridiculously rich), so I'm running off the wastegate spring (9.5psi), and would guess I'm only putting down @220-230 whp. With bigger injectors and Hondata, if I get around to it, the car is entirely capable of 350whp daily. It also weighs @2100lbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree wtih flyinmysup. To say "Turbo Civic's are slow/fast" is so inaccurate. There are so many kinds of engines in Civic's now, it's impossible to say. I know a guy with a non-Intercooled D16 (SOHC VTEC) with a T3 Turbo. He ran a [email protected] or so, with a 2.6 60ft, so more like a mid-high 14 sec car if he can get traction.

I also know a guy who's running a LS/VTEC Turbo (Integra LS 1.8L bottom end, B16 Civic Si head), who's wicked fast. Even the big V8 guys have dubbed him the "V8 Bully". For the record, he's going to a CR-VTEC/Turbo next year (B20 CRV Bottom End, same B16 head). Should be pretty beastly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now we're getting somewhere. I know there must be an incredible amount of combinations possible when putting together a turbocharged Honda engine. Considering the huge Civic following, there's got to be something to this whole Honda craze (even though a vast majority of the owners seem to miss it entirely). But yeah, you can't always make broad generalizations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spun MkIII said:
Considering the huge Civic following, there's got to be something to this whole Honda craze (even though a vast majority of the owners seem to miss it entirely).
Very true. Having read about Honda's recently, I've come to learn you came make them very quick (notice I say quick, not fast) for a cheap amount of money. 90% of the time you'll be doing an engine swap, but the possibilities are endless, and the power is definetly there to be had. You can see a few of these examples, but as you said, most owners miss it entirely! :(

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
ma70man said:
Actually they can break way out of 14s. That magazine must have been really old. Ive seen several street driven into the 12s. Unfortunately all the import people around me are more concerned with making their car look fast, then actually go fast.
What mods are you running on your car?
actually it's fairly new, from 03' it was an edelbrock Turbo kit I believe, with few if any other minor mods to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts