Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 60-1trim ct-26 and it was freashly rebuilt not long ago. well i go to put it on and everything seems fine, but no boost. it makes this "death whine" noise like the MKIV stock turbo's do. it only happens when trying to boost but will not go past 0.00

it spins just fine, no shaft play, no nothing wrong with it, its a beautiful turbo...

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I was about to say... My wastegate actuator rod popped off the flapper one time and it made the same sound you're describing. Check that first, then start looking for cracked hoses after the turbo... The turbo outlet house that goes from the turbo to the intercooler inlet loves to crack underneath where you can't see it. Feel around and check it.

- Hams.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
I've got a similiar problem.

Mine is that I'm not boosting right. I can get boost, but not the proper psi. Stock is suppose to be atleast 6 psi right? I've got an '87 ecu and sensors running a '91 engine/tranny/turbo.

So, I've got my profec B hooked up and it reads 5.8-60 when I floor it and I got to about 5rpm. I currently have a K&N, upper hardpipe, and open 3" downpipe that stops and the firewall.

With my old engine, '87 with rod knock, I would hit about 9 psi.

What's up with this???

-Joseph

·
Registered
74 Posts
massive whole in ic piping, or wastegate problems, any tests to do, just make sure it hooked up, check all the lines. spray with some carb cleaner if you think u got some leakeage. Motor should try to poop out if you hit a spot.

Happen to me if the turbo outlet to ic would be half off.

I would say stock gauge sux but you got ur pro. so check lines. idles hi maybe?

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!(AND GALS)

OK, so I'm going to check my hoses later for any loose pipes. Yeah, my idle's funny, but it's too low, not high.

I'll see what's up and hopefully it's not the '91 engine I just installed.

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
turbo

It sounds definitely like a bent turbo wheel. We did my brothers turbo in new york in the summer, and drove it back home to toronto and it was only making like 3 psi, had a whinning noise, so we took the turbo back to the shop and discovered the wheel was bent, which is the cause for the whinning noise. I just did my buddies turbo as well last nite, and he only hits 3psi on it but no whinning noise, i'm thinking he needs to get an exhaust, because he has no supporting mods, but well see.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
I don't agree with /\

My experience tells me you may have a WG issue, boost leak, or obstruction to the impeller.

Make sure you check your work.

:: Did you reconnect the return lines to the block with proper torque? (leaks?)

2 brass washers for the onion feed line? (leak?)

Without proper oil, and pressure you are asking for trouble. (Will make a horrible screeching noise without proper oil.)::

/\ That would explain a weird or bad noise

As for lack of boost, ....When you got your turbo back, was the flapper for the WG damaged or were there cracks around the mating surface?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
turbo

I'm just telling you what i experienced
and your problems were similar to mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts