Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already made a search and found nothing so I'm hoping one of you can help me. A mecanic told me that since my turbo is burning motor oil, that its making my engine overheat, but I barely use the turbo since I found out. the engine temperature is fine when its cold outside but over 10*C , its starts to overheat until I turn on the heater. what do you guys think.
thanx

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
um i'm questioning your mechanic, if your turbo is leaking oil it shouldn't have any bearing on the engine's heat.

if your car is overheating, you may want to check yout T-Stat, and make sure your fan is running.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,905 Posts
Mechanic needs help. He knows nothing about the car. Heat is caused by lack of water or blown head gasket. Then the last thing is under filled radiator or poorly or not working fan or thermostat. Checking thermostat and fan is the first order. Look for loss of water and bubbling for head gasket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our cars naturally run hot. I ran the gaunlet recently with mechanics who didn't know their ass from a turbo.

Turbo burning oil has VERY little to do with your engine overheating. If you turbo was taking up that much oil you'd have to worry about it seizing. Check your oil, my bet is that its fine. Also look at oil pressure, let us know what thats reading as well. idle and throttle.

Okay, first thing I'd check/replace is the thermostat. Its a couple of bucks.

If your car is old, you could also have a bad radiator. I had a radiator get clogged on me, and cause me to look all over the damn car at electrical parts and everything. Finally I took the bastard out and had it flow tested. Ta da! Problem fixed.

Is there anything else going on with your car? Bad gas mileage, funny sounds, other things not working correctly, loss of power?

·
5,905 Posts
They dont run hot unless there is a problem. My car nevr runs hot. When it didit was the hg problem! My temp needle never goes higher than the 4 o'clock position which is under half. Usually t sits around the 5-4 o'clock position.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QWIKSTRIKE said:
They dont run hot unless there is a problem. My car nevr runs hot. When it didit was the hg problem!
Well warm should have been a better adjective....

Our cars run WARM. :p

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx a lot guys, I changed the head gasket two years ago, and the thermostat and fan clutch last years so I'll get the radiator checked. my oil pressure is just over 2mmhg, is that normal?

·
5,905 Posts
All cars run warm, or they will run rich. When attaining the proper temp they run best. Getting too much heat warps the head from over heating. The reason thermostats are used is to allow the car to heat up qwikly when not started for a while. They allow the car to reach optimum heating, or shall I say operateing temps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QWIKSTRIKE said:
All cars run warm, or they will run rich. When attaining the proper temp they run best. Getting too much heat warps the head from over heating. The reason thermostats are used is to allow the car to heat up qwikly when not started for a while. They allow the car to reach optimum heating, or shall I say operateing temps.
*sigh* when compared to certain other cars, our will run at a higher temperature, which is normal, as that is the way they are designed.

Better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts