Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i have no idea if this is the right term or not but i have been looking at pic's of engine bays and alot of the engines have their turbos in a much more accessible place, its like they are raised up a foot or so?? What is the reason for this, what would i need to do this and how hard is it?

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Well these raised turbos aren't stock ones, I know a TO4E with the MAXX adaptor lifts the turbo up cause the adaptor is angled up, but stock no.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
you dont want the turbo a farther length from the exhaust manifold, than it already is, unless its a really custom job. It will only increase spool time. not by much but, it does.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that makes sense but why are the custom turbos located there?? space issue? cuase most custom turbos are larger and take longer to spool anyway so why would they want them taking even longer?

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Because the adaptor is made for a flange for a wastegate too. makes it simple than getting a big custom manifold which costs like $1400, that is why and also maybe fitting issues cause turbo is bigger, it doesn't really affect flow because the long tubular header style manifolds have better flow than stock manifold when the pipes on it are longer than stock.

·
No Kermit No!
210 Posts
I think that if you moved the stock turbo up a foot it would be clearly over the hood... Just thought I'd add that...

GREG

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
SimpleCAT said:
I think that if you moved the stock turbo up a foot it would be clearly over the hood... Just thought I'd add that...
GREG
I'm with him...but that would provide for a mean looking Mk3.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Boostin88T said:
I'm with him...but that would provide for a mean looking Mk3.
hehehe... be sucking in Birds if it was at that hieght :) and hell I think the reason the turbos are moved is just as above to clear the external wastegate and make it easier to install all the oil lines and coolant lines, aight then peace

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Watch "Hi-Octane 2" I think it's 2.. but there is a clip of some car, with the compressor side, sticking out of the hood.

SWEAR TO YOU!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
BurnMac42 said:
OK i have no idea if this is the right term or not but i have been looking at pic's of engine bays and alot of the engines have their turbos in a much more accessible place, its like they are raised up a foot or so?? What is the reason for this, what would i need to do this and how hard is it?
a foot?:rolleyes:

would you even be able to close your hood

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well sorry guys that i didnt go out and take a tape measure to be exact for the post i was just wondering why some were and werent like that but thanks for the info anyway

·
MKIII Bodykit Connoisseur
929 Posts
you should run pipes through your fender wall on the passenger side and install the turbo where the passenger mirror usually goes... mmm..... dont drive with your windows down your ears will bleed...

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Acroth said:
you should run pipes through your fender wall on the passenger side and install the turbo where the passenger mirror usually goes... mmm..... dont drive with your windows down your ears will bleed...
:stupid: JK, I know you are too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts