Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at my new toy, and was wondering about the shaft being balanced. I know that when spooled they are spinning fast, but I don't really know how fast, I would guess 25,000 rpm? And I know at high speeds like that some thing that is not balanced is going to viberate and would cause the bearings to go out faster than they should, wouldn't it? So I have been trying to get Larry to help me answer my questions since I bought the turbo from him, kind of thought maybe I would get some sort of customer service. Well he disconnected on me yesterday evening in the middle of almost having one of my three questions answered, then he never came back on that evening. So this morning I tried to get a hold of him twice and he never responds; I think he hates me :(.

So what I am asking is, rather or not the shafts on these are balanced, because . . .

half of the nut is missing, is that from balancing the thing, or is there any chance I got screwed and that was to un balance it so i would have to buy another turbo too soon?

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
I don't know about whether or not the nut is cut like that for balance, but i can assure you that your assumptions are correct, except for one. The turbo usually is still spooling at about 20,000 rpm and they go all the way up to around 120,000 rpm. So yes, the balance and clearances in turbos must be precise.

On another note... I highly doubt Larry hates you unless you personally attacked him or something. They can get extremely busy over at SP so i wouldn't get too upset. Just keep at it and i'm sure you'll get your questions answered.

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
You can be sure that your turbo was spin balanced before you got it.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i beleive removing the material is part of the VSR balance process.

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Yep...that's how they balance most turbos I've seen. Interesting thing is my buddy's vortech centrifugal - it has material removed from the compressor wheel inbetween the blades...wierd... If you get a chance to peek into one, it'll wierd you out :dunno: :stickpoke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts