Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently put my new downpipe on and noticed that the turbo shaft has a fair amount of play in it.......ive been around cars for awhile(mostly honda VTEC) but havent delt much with turbos so bear with me on this one......if the turbo goes bad will it begin makin the car smoke alot before it flys apart.....or will it just detinate......my plans were to rebuild the turbo at the end of this summer but if it could possibly destroy my engine than i might have to alter my plans.....so i guess what im tryin to say is will the turbo give me any warning before it goes and does it have the potential to destroy my engine? thanks guys

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Up and down is somewhat normal due to the bearing design

In and Out is very bad mmm bad!!

Depends on the type of failure but most times they smoke a LOT and just stop making decent power, now and again a shaft will break and from time to time you see one that's eaten a foreign object.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thats what i thought.....thanks for the help man

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
worst failure I've seen on a turbo was the exhaust impeller coming off and destroying a DP...

you can also get all sorts of metal in your IC and piping if it goes BAD, but it usually will make a LOT of noice before that happens...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts