Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm currenty building a 2jz and I was wondering, what's a good size turbo? I want about 650 at the wheels, and I want a large power band and a quick spool, I personally don't want a huge amount of boost at highrpm ( turbolag ) maybe full boost at bout 3k, I don't know much about this department so I figured I'd ask. I was thinking a Garrett gt35r but idk, take note this set up is going into an rx7 so
weight plays a factor

Or maybe a recommendation from personal experiances.

Thank u for the help

· Registered
13,982 Posts
So it sounds like you're targeting the 650whp on racegas? I think you'd be pushing your luck hitting that level with a GT35R though you'd be close. If you want that on pump, you'll have to go quite large and suffer with the spool so it doesn't sound like that's what you want.

I have a 60-1 (PHR Stg 1 turbo) and it's very responsive, makes very good boost by 3000 rpm but by no means "full boost" ...I don't see that happening with any turbo that would get you close to 600whp. I have no first hand experience with it, but the newest billet wheel 62mm turbos are being talked up as having very good spool/throttle response and more top end than "old school" 60/61mm sizes, even comparable to the typical 67mm turbos.

I wonder where Rob aka screen name Stage7 is with his FD/2JZ build...he lives in NJ and was going with a smallish turbo similar to your goals.

· Registered
250 Posts
i have a gt4088r ball bearing and i make full boost at 3800-4000rpms and max out at around 525rwhp at 100 octane.
my pt74gts previously made high 500's hp on pump, 758 on c16 but spooled fully at 5000rpms. very annoying for street driving.
You will be hard pressed to find something that spools at 3000 rpms and makes that power unless you go twin turbo. or both supercharge/turbocharge

· Racing is Life.
1,772 Posts
A 67DBB will set you at very very little lag in the 2-4k rpm range. You will see (easily) over 650RWHP with race fuel. If you run a 60DBB, intake manifold, and 272 or 280 cams you'd be looking at a pretty decent power band and upper 600 RWHP range. Let us know what you end up running and what power you make. :)

· Registered
1,320 Posts
precisions new billet 6765 is the cats meow !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.