Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a fan of the low-mid range power from the twins in seq. mode, and so this randomly popped into my head during english class today.

It may have already been done ( hope not, thought it was a great idea), but has there ever been a setup that used a belt driven supercharger AND a medium->large single turbo?

My idea was to take a good size single that usually wouldnt boost untill 5k+ rpm and use it in combination with a supercharger. The supercharger would provide great low/mid range power without sacraficing any exhaust gas for the spool of a larger top end turbo (the problem with the one small turbo +one large one idea thats been floating aorund for a while). Then, to counter the parasitic effect of a belt driven supercharger, there could be some kind of a clutch in the supercharger pulley to cut it out once the turbo started to boost (or it could be left engaged if it helped more than hurt, I dont know.)


What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
:scratch: I think its actually been done where a turbo blows into a cetrifugal (procharger) which then blows into a roots blower. TUNING NIGHTMARE!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
yeah its called twin charged. def been done but maybe not on a supra.... def seen it done on several hondas, and yes tuning NIGHTMARE and not worth all the money, unless its just for show.... but seriously who buys a supra to look at it lol....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
i've seen it been done to old toyota pickup trucks. I think thje old B22s where a two speed supercharger and quoad turbo.
also I think VW is going to or just did make a car liek this. but their super charger clutches out.

It can be done, it's a amtter of are you willing to pioneer your way into doing it. and I don't think english class leaves you with a whole lot of money to do so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to put the bit in about not having the cash, means, or desire to do this myself, it was just an idea.

The turbo and supercharger would opetate independantly from eachother, thats the whole point.

I have no experiance with tunning whatsoever, but how would it be a nightmare? The only part seems to be tricky is the rpm range when the supercharger cuts out and all boost is from the turbo.


I thought twincharing refered to what some diesl's have done, one turbo feeding another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a rough rendering of what I am talking about, neither the turbo or the supercharger feeds or relies on the other.



This is what I think Missupra was refering to
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
once the turbo spools up it will reduce the drag caughed by the super charger. sine air's being forced in the top of the super it creates less resistance on the super pull and less hp lose over all
 

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
Joined
·
10,459 Posts
SPI had made a kit like this for the mini cooper before they went out of business, he (hubbie )was having lots of issues tunning the darn thing i remember ,im not sure if he ever had a chance to get the thing working properly but it did come out in an issue of turbo mag.
just when they closed there doors.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
Here is a rough rendering of what I am talking about, neither the turbo or the supercharger feeds or relies on the other.



This is what I think Missupra was refering to
who's going to put a cat on a crazy setup like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
This was actually a factory option on a MKI MR2. Very rare to see, but I have seen the kits for sale every now and them. The MKI MR2 supercharger uses an A/C clutch to activate it, and an air switching valve to go from supercharger to turbo.

As per a comment earlier. It would make no sense to feed a turbo to a supercharger. The supercharger could handle the air that the turbo will feed at the high RPMS. How many superchargers do you see push 26+psi and still remain streetable. Best thing is to use an air valve and the ability to turn the supercharger on and off.

There is(was) a company that made superchargers for the MKIII supra in austrailia, it actually bolts on to your factory A/C bracket. I bought one, but later that day I got laid off, so I had to cancel my order. I had planned to do a twin charger setup on my 4runner(more engine room than the supra). I still may do this when I build my 4runner up again, or I am contimplating a twin turbo 1UZ 4.0 v8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im having a hard time understanding why you would need an air switching valve to switch from the supercharger to turbo, maybe we are just thinking of a different operating sequence; this is what I have in my head for use with a turbo that gets into some good boost around 4800rpm (supercharger and turbo have their own intake):
1-4800rpm = supercharger engaged
4800-redline = as soon as the turbo comes under medium boost, the supercharger is disengaged (clutch) and all boost from 4800rpm to redline is from the turbo, thus negating the parasitic drain from the supercharger pulley.

Is my logic flawed?



SuperRunner said:
This was actually a factory option on a MKI MR2. Very rare to see, but I have seen the kits for sale every now and them. The MKI MR2 supercharger uses an A/C clutch to activate it, and an air switching valve to go from supercharger to turbo.

As per a comment earlier. It would make no sense to feed a turbo to a supercharger. The supercharger could handle the air that the turbo will feed at the high RPMS. How many superchargers do you see push 26+psi and still remain streetable. Best thing is to use an air valve and the ability to turn the supercharger on and off.

There is(was) a company that made superchargers for the MKIII supra in austrailia, it actually bolts on to your factory A/C bracket. I bought one, but later that day I got laid off, so I had to cancel my order. I had planned to do a twin charger setup on my 4runner(more engine room than the supra). I still may do this when I build my 4runner up again, or I am contimplating a twin turbo 1UZ 4.0 v8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
Im having a hard time understanding why you would need an air switching valve to switch from the supercharger to turbo, maybe we are just thinking of a different operating sequence; this is what I have in my head for use with a turbo that gets into some good boost around 4800rpm (supercharger and turbo have their own intake):
1-4800rpm = supercharger engaged
4800-redline = as soon as the turbo comes under medium boost, the supercharger is disengaged (clutch) and all boost from 4800rpm to redline is from the turbo, thus negating the parasitic drain from the supercharger pulley.

Is my logic flawed?
Valve could be just a one way valve or electronicaly controlled, either way, servese the same purpous. But yeah, that is pretty much how it works.
 

·
trubo spura
Joined
·
393 Posts
There's a guy about to twin charge his Toyota Solara. It's a 99 with the 3.0L 1MZ-FE, he'd been boosting at 13-14 PSI on his TRD supercharger with a 35-75 shot of nitrous. How he's replaced more than just the pistons, and has taken care of most everything in the block. I don't think he plans to use the nitrous anymore, but it'll be interesting. I obviously bourhgt up the concern of a belt driven roots type SC bogging down the turbos power, and the tuning it would take to get it all to work. He said he didn't care, and he's going for it. Just incase you're wondering it's a T67 turbo.

Having the same car only on nitrous, I can say he's gonna have a bitch with that being FWD, but oh well. It'll be a moster of a car for what it is tho.

-chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
I have always been a fan of the low-mid range power from the twins in seq. mode, and so this randomly popped into my head during english class today.

It may have already been done ( hope not, thought it was a great idea), but has there ever been a setup that used a belt driven supercharger AND a medium->large single turbo?

My idea was to take a good size single that usually wouldnt boost untill 5k+ rpm and use it in combination with a supercharger. The supercharger would provide great low/mid range power without sacraficing any exhaust gas for the spool of a larger top end turbo (the problem with the one small turbo +one large one idea thats been floating aorund for a while). Then, to counter the parasitic effect of a belt driven supercharger, there could be some kind of a clutch in the supercharger pulley to cut it out once the turbo started to boost (or it could be left engaged if it helped more than hurt, I dont know.)


What do you think?
I got a better idea. Instead of dealing with all that bs and drama, just get a big ass V8 and call it a day and make shitloads of power on pump gas. Exact reason why I got a Viper. I love supras but I'm so tired of all the bs required to make power. Big engines don't have that problem. Even though they're American pieces ah shit, they haul ass and they run. Simple design, set it and forget it.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top