Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
Can you post mods, numbers, etc.? A few pics of a dirty-ass engine bay don't do much to a thread.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Can you post mods, numbers, etc.? A few pics of a dirty-ass engine bay don't do much to a thread.
someone's a little testy.... :nono:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hardly ever have my truck clean.....just makes it more of a sleeper! I will go out and take some pics of the truck tomorrow when I get up with a member on this site. He wants to check out my ride and I want to check his out. More pics tomorrow!

·
Addicted to Boost
336 Posts
more spec please? what year? turbo size? manual?all that god stuff. im really interested about this. with the manifold too

jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i/c as of now. w/a or water/meth will come soon though!

Custom piping and turbo manis, heat wrapping, Turbonetics T04E 60 trim turbo, tial wg and bov, turboXs manual boost controller, 2.5" from turbo back, 318's, fuel pump, colder plugs, split sec FTC, autometer egt and boost/vac gauges in dual pillar pod, 18" e-fan, ipt vb mod, tranny cooler, light crank pulley, and that is good for now! This truck stock makes 140whp! With the TRD s/c at 9psi I made 255whp/275wtq! I have not dyno'd with the turbo yet but I'm guessing that with the same boost as the s/c it will make 270whp+ and 380wtq+! A truck similar to mine made 272whp/379.9wtq at 7.35psi but it had an i/c on it. Highest on an s-runner that I've seen is 385whp/427wtq at 12psi!

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
Not sure why you have the MAF sensor BEHIND the turbo, but IMO it's not a good idea in practice. Although it may work now, over time, it will eventually fail because it is behind the turbo, (between heat from not running an intercooler and oil blow by from the turbo), it will ruin the veins of the sensor. :nono:

I'd say finish the turbo upgrade, do it right, THEN drive it daily.

You have a nice turbo, and of what IS actually done, looks good from here. I just hope you have supporting fuel mods, and electronics to monitor that engine with that turbo you attached.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not worried bout messin up the maf due to heat or anything else. Keepin the boost low so the heat will be minimal. I have 318cc injectors(stock is 240cc) in it now with a split sec FTC to control the fuel and timing. Going to larger injectors later! Also have a wideband to monitor afrs. Gauges to monitor boost and egts. Got all the bases covered. No worries here! BTW, truck will stall at times with the maf in front of the bov.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thats kinda cool. I have a 2002 tacoma with the 3.4 and i've always wondered what hp/tq can be made with a turbo. it's my daily though, i gotta love toyota naturally aspirated reliability.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not sure why you have the MAF sensor BEHIND the turbo, but IMO it's not a good idea in practice. Although it may work now, over time, it will eventually fail because it is behind the turbo, (between heat from not running an intercooler and oil blow by from the turbo), it will ruin the veins of the sensor. :nono:

I'd say finish the turbo upgrade, do it right, THEN drive it daily.

You have a nice turbo, and of what IS actually done, looks good from here. I just hope you have supporting fuel mods, and electronics to monitor that engine with that turbo you attached.
+1. Why do all this work and skimp out on an intercooler, it looks professional, but with any resonable amount of boost on a turbo, that big, your gonna be blowing hot air and knocking.

The reason why it stalls with the mas before the turbo, is because you need to recirculate the bov back into the intake.

·
strut that ass
37 Posts
I like how you have a nice straight section of piping in front of the MAF sensor to help reduce turbulance across it.

If I was you I would add a water / meth injection setup to help combat detonation and or high IAT's

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only running around 9psi max with nothing to cool the air with due to temps across the maf. Water/meth is in the works to cool the charge air with an i/c coming later down the road. With water/meth and 9psi it should be in the 320whp/450wtq range!

·
MKIV Fanboy....
126 Posts
yay! another turbo tacoma!!

Looks good man! now up the boost!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Driver side connects to passenger side via a 2" crossover pipe that runs behind engine and runs snug under the truck. My 38mm tial wastegate is mounted on this pipe under the passenger side of the truck and is dumped to atmosphere.

I will up the boost when I get a way to cool the charge air. Then it will be on!

Tuned a little tonight and truck pulls much harder than my old s/c setup ever did. Stopped tuning at 8psi due to starting to have traction issues. By traction issues I mean spinning from 25-45mph.....1-2 shift.....minor tire chirping from45-80mph due to un-even roads.....2-3 shift.....80-110mph no spin.
Took some max temp readings during a few runs at different boost levels and they are as follows: Ambient temp was 37 degrees tonight. 4psi was 120 degrees, 6psi was 140 degrees, and 8psi was 154 degrees.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts