Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, back again. Moving my thread off of an old title that no longer matches the conversation.
Firstly, turbo talk:
The previous owner upgraded the ct26 turbo to a 60/60. They believe it has a leaking seal, and it makes sense given oil in the intercooler, and blowing smoke ONLY during turbo spool.

(Question) will a “basic” ct26 rebuild kit do the job or will I need a special kit due to the upgrade.

Now for compression talk:
TLDR from previous post.
Cylinder 1 and 5: 125ish PSI
Cylinder 6: 150ish
Concerning or no? The test may have been done incorrectly and I’ll provide rechecked numbers with wet test numbers by the end of the week.

Much thanks from an overly paranoid car owner,
-J

·
7M Fanatic
3,044 Posts
Don't take your turbo apart to put the kit in, as once the compressor turbin is removed, it will no longer be balanced, even if you manage to get it lined up the way it was.
Remember, these things turn over 100,000 rpm.

25 psi difference is a lot, I'd say it's time to look at it.
Could be a carbon build up issue, or valve issue, or rings going by-by.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't take your turbo apart to put the kit in, as once the compressor turbin is removed, it will no longer be balanced, even if you manage to get it lined up the way it was.
Remember, these things turn over 100,000 rpm.

25 psi difference is a lot, I'd say it's time to look at it.
Could be a carbon build up issue, or valve issue, or rings going by-by.
I was going to rebalance the wheel at a professional shop, and it also seems that a lot of mechanics I’ve spoken to are super unbothered by that PSI difference. Like every single one. I’m getting more time with The car this weekend and we’ll see if after some running and oil circulation the comp will adjust itself for the next cold comp test.

I’m not opposed to an engine rebuild, I’d rather just keep away from it since I already dropped 5k for it. (Trust me, it was worth 5k) It is a completely rustless frame, bottom up. Patched as well as undercoated. I’ll do a more comprehensive list once I sort out it’s turbo issues and potential compression issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts