Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there's been alot of problems with turbo toys in the past that ive seen in the threads. but i saw a red 97 TT in autotrader today and ran a carfax. it's a salvaged title obviously but i just wanna know if anyone has any info on it. im kinda interested in it even though its salvaged but i dont want to be buying crap. if any of u ever stop by there, just let me know what u see.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i can tell you right now that its a halved car...meaning two seperate supras welded into one...

i personally wouldnt buy anything from turbo toys...as nice of a guy as jim is most of the time....and the things they do are pretty amazing seeing what they started with.... i just wouldnt trust it... IMO

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
um... red salvage huh?
It wouldn't have a blown motor in it huh?

buwahahaha Sorry Seb... Just had to =)

It's a love hate relationship buying a salvage car. Not knowing if the chasis will ever be straight. I've heard of different people with different problems I've been lucky and Jim has always done good work for me and even saved me money when I was having ignition issues.

None the less, sounds like your looking for someone that might be able to tell you... it wasn't that bad. It was a small fix... that kind of stuff...

I personally wouldn't touch it, but then again... I would jump on the Blue beast in Heart Beat if it was in my class and that car came from nothingness to WOW!!!

Good luck

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
I bought my car from Jim at turbo toys. Every little problem that the car has had Jim has fixed for me for no charge but parts. My car has a perfect Alignment and drives just as good as a bew car. When I went to look at my car he told me exactly where it was hit and how bad it was. He did a compression test showing me the #'s. He is straight forward if you ask him a direct question.
I believe it is a Hit or Miss.

Edit... Its not jim that makes turbo toys look bad it is some of employees.

·
Banned
663 Posts
Yeah, I don't think its fair to discredit Jim because he is VERY straight forward and 100% honest about the history, EXACTLY what happened to it, what got fixed, etc. Its then up to you to decide if you want to deal with the salvage title, and the potential problems.

Ultimately, its your call. But Jim will not lie to you.

·
1,522 Posts
Jim @ Turbo Toys is a good guy. I bought my first supra (clean title) from him back in 2000. The car ran perfect for the years when I had it and it's now running 9s.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i bought my first car from jim and i never had any problems with it. i was actually considering buying that red TT it was hit in the front, i saw it when it came in. damage wasn't that bad compared to other cars that have come in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Take it to a good shop and inspect everything, maybe do a compresion test and then decide, it allways come to your personal choice, Just try to make a wise one.

I have goód experience with Jim, always find parts for me and very good prices.

When I look into a car to buy it I'm very concern with everything So Do a good inspection of the conditions of the car and then decide....(maybe alignment before buying if you are serious about it!)

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Jim seems like a cool guy from what I have seen. He's a jerk to most of the mk3 guys and overcharges on parts for us, but other then that I've seen some good cars come from him and some bad. Like everyone else says, its just a toss up.

·
In the shadow...
1,452 Posts
Bucsfanatic59 said:
He's a jerk to most of the mk3 guys and overcharges on parts for us
Thats why I like him

:D just joking ;)

-Seb

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
Jim has both good and bad stories. The bad stories I've gotten from both sides, and... The person was at all fault most of the times. But Jim is a good guy, but I hate to say it. Buying a car from Jim could either lead to happiness or headaches. It's up to you man.

·
Sold Mine :(
1,024 Posts
I dont know Jim, the shop, or the cars but in my opinnion any car can be made perfect again its just a matter of time, money, and patience.

If you have ENDLESS amounts then I would say sure go for damaged car that has a some what good base to it. I personally would love to build a car from a rolling frame up but I dont have the time right now to do so.

Oh well thats my 2 cents... best of luck and just make sure you have the car checkout thoroughly before your spring for it!

·
Registered
807 Posts
All shops have there good and there bad, as does any restaurant, hotel, city/ state, girlfriend/ wife, etc.

All I can say is Jim has always been honest with me and seems to always have time for his paying customers. Jim will always try to find you the best deal, tell you when he doesn't know the answer, but most important he will follow through with the job you pay him for and fix a problem if it is caused or even possibly caused by him or his parts (within reason obviously) there are alot of people out there who will not always do this and just want your money. Yes the cars have been wrecked, but then again that is why you are getting a great price and not paying a premium.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah u know i dont mind getting salvaged too much cuz i know there may be a problem and im gonna have to work with it. for that price, i really dont mind and i know jim will tell me everything that's happened to it. maybe ill check this out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts