Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
Received my 67mm bb turbo from a reputable company the other day. I'm a virgin in the turbo territory... so I was wondering if it is normal for a new turbo to have some play with the turbine wheel? I mean you can grab a hold of the wheel and it will jiggle a bit...hmmmmm:1poke:

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if the play is really noticeable there is something wrong. turbos have very tight clearances and should have very little shaft play at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A little bit (very little) up and down is normal, in and out is bad (at least with a plain bearing turbo, not sure about ball bearing)

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Fellas,
Received my 67mm bb turbo from a reputable company the other day. I'm a virgin in the turbo territory... so I was wondering if it is normal for a new turbo to have some play with the turbine wheel? I mean you can grab a hold of the wheel and it will jiggle a bit...hmmmmm:1poke:
A small amount is normal on a journal bearing style cartridge. Once there is oil the turbo the bearings "float"

·
Registered
872 Posts
ball bearing turbos have very tight clearances and should only have very little shaft play .but once there is oil the the bearings should be tighter, no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts