Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Lexus sites that I have found suck when it comes to tech advice, so I come here.

I have a 1992 Lexus SC300 5-speed with 117.8k miles on it. The motor is in great shape, but it does smoke a tiny bit under hard acceleration. I want to turbocharge it. I will most likely re-ring the motor to stop the smoke, and then get a kit. Since the SC300 and the NA MKIV share the same, 2JZ-GE motor, what kits should I look into? Should I consider building the bottom end while it is open? What am I looking at pricewise to build the bottom end? Can you guys link me up to some sites with the products?

Thanks!!!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Give us a HP figure you want to shoot for, and a budget you'd like to stay within. Do you do your own wrenching, or will you need to pay for labor?

I made 602rwhp on the stock bottom end, so most likely you don't need to build yours. Do a compression/leakdown test on your engine to see what kind of shape it's in.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for around 400hp. Do I need a head gasket and aftrmarket engine management? I will re-ring the motor, and possibly hone the cylinders while I am in there, but from what I understand from many sources is that the bottom end is very strong. Budget, ehhh, not sure yet...just looking for ballpark figures..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go here and do some digging in the SC300 section. Just look for the obvious stuff, "turbo conversion" and such. There's a lot of info to be found if you take a little time and there's a whole lot fewer posts to walk through than on this board

Rob_O

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like ClubLexus, and have been a member for a few months, but even there, I get the run around when it comes to turbo tech. Maybe I should try to get the turbo guys there to list their upgrades, and make my own assumptions from that...? Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MatT3T4 said:
Maybe I should try to get the turbo guys there to list their upgrades, and make my own assumptions from that...?
I found all the answers I was looking for by digging through the archived stuff. Of course it hasn't been over about 25 degrees here for the past few week or so and I have had less than zero desire to get out there and face the cold so I've had a lot of time to kill

There's an awful lot of good stuff to find here too but you would have to spend a substantial amount if time digging to find it, there's a whole lot more posts to dig through

Rob_O

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yeah, the Clublexus guys are knowledgable.... I disagree with them about not using the thick headgasket (until 400+rwhp), and also regarding using large injectors with the stock ECU/VPC. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D

I would get the 3mm headgasket, and just use 550cc injectors and a vpc with the stock ecu.

You can probably piece together a decent kit for around $4k

I am looking for around 400hp. Do I need a head gasket and aftrmarket engine management? I will re-ring the motor, and possibly hone the cylinders while I am in there, but from what I understand from many sources is that the bottom end is very strong. Budget, ehhh, not sure yet...just looking for ballpark figures..
[quote/]

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
DaveH said:
Yeah, the Clublexus guys are knowledgable.... I disagree with them about not using the thick headgasket (until 400+rwhp), and also regarding using large injectors with the stock ECU/VPC. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D

I would get the 3mm headgasket, and just use 550cc injectors and a vpc with the stock ecu.

I agree with Dave here. I have the VPC/GCC combo and really was impressed with how the car ran. I had a mildly built tranny and ended up tearing it apart in 3 months.

Dave S. made 487rwhp on the exact same setup I have (I actually bought everything off his car) with the VPC/GCC, so don't rule it out; it will get you far enough.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
soarer 300 said:

I agree with Dave here. I have the VPC/GCC combo and really was impressed with how the car ran. I had a mildly built tranny and ended up tearing it apart in 3 months.

Dave S. made 487rwhp on the exact same setup I have (I actually bought everything off his car) with the VPC/GCC, so don't rule it out; it will get you far enough.
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind posting your entire setup, along with how the car TRUELY drives? Is it your daily, or your weekend racer? I have made over 400hp in a daily driven Honda, and I know more than enough about turbo's, but I am new to what kind of setups Toyota/Lexus cats are using. Thanx

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
MatT3T4 said:

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind posting your entire setup, along with how the car TRUELY drives? Is it your daily, or your weekend racer? I have made over 400hp in a daily driven Honda, and I know more than enough about turbo's, but I am new to what kind of setups Toyota/Lexus cats are using. Thanx
Matt,

Sorry I got to this late! You should have PM'ed me or emailed me! :)

My electronics setup is as simple as the VPC/GCC combo with the settings left from Dave's dyno.

The car drives like a normal car....until WOT. My mom drives it if I'm parked behind her; its that simple. She quit driving it because she thought she was doing something wrong when the BOV cracked off, but that's a different story. :)

The car is almost too much for me at 24 psi. I'm not accustomed to a high HP car, but this car has really taught me a lot about my limits behind the wheel. Having a car like the Lexus is nothing like a Honda. No torque steer (of course), back end is squirly, no traction control, nothing. It is just your experience and the car's power. I had 265's on the rear and I could smoke them until 50mph if I stalled the car.

If you're going to go auto, you must build your tranny. Bottom line. The N/A tranny is good to 300-315 rwhp. That's all I'll say about that.

I had an SP60-1 (.71 a/r) on the Lexus and sold it. I wanted a little bit more power so I'm going with a tad bit bigger turbo. After my motor goes out, I'm going with a twin turbo Supra shortblock...that's IF it goes out. My motor has taken everything I've given it.

I have a full fuel setup as well. 255lph fuel pump, SX fuel pressure regulator, 660 (ish) injectors. My internal ignition is fully stock. My suspension is stock.

I have the 3mm headgasket as well. Lowering compression to 8.5:1.

I drive my car every day. It is my daily driver. I've had transmission problems lately but am testing a new tranny that I will discuss later. I picked up a car for the winter, so the Lexus is under a cover for another month or so.

Hope this helps.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MatT3T4 said:
All Lexus sites that I have found suck when it comes to tech advice, so I come here.

I have a 1992 Lexus SC300 5-speed with 117.8k miles on it. The motor is in great shape, but it does smoke a tiny bit under hard acceleration. I want to turbocharge it. I will most likely re-ring the motor to stop the smoke, and then get a kit. Since the SC300 and the NA MKIV share the same, 2JZ-GE motor, what kits should I look into? Should I consider building the bottom end while it is open? What am I looking at pricewise to build the bottom end? Can you guys link me up to some sites with the products?

Thanks!!!
im using a motor from a lexus sc300 with a 900hp performance factory turbo kit.

·
1,005 Posts
Re: Re: Turbocharging A Lexus SC300

osofast240 said:

im using a motor from a lexus sc300 with a 900hp performance factory turbo kit.

Performance Factory sells a turbo kit for the NA? If so I'm very interested and would like to know more about it...thanx:)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: Turbocharging A Lexus SC300

TRDSupraSE said:

Performance Factory sells a turbo kit for the NA? If so I'm very interested and would like to know more about it...thanx:)
call them up
Performance Factory NYC
34-11 62nd Street
Woodside NY 11377 718-429-3773

tell them 240vic sent you

·
Internet Addict
89 Posts
soarer 300 said:

Which Dave is that? Dave from Chicago area?

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
mat..did u not like Clublexus? :eek: If u wnat info about tubo,t/c, etc. on CL u gotta talk to Clint Pohler. There r only a few people who have T/C their SC's so its gonna be hard to get much info from personal experience. Kepp trying on CL though.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
mat..did u not like Clublexus? :eek: If u wnat info about tubo,t/c, etc. on CL u gotta talk to Clint Pohler. There r only a few people who have T/C their SC's so its gonna be hard to get much info from personal experience. Kepp trying on CL though.
I regularly answer ?'s regarding my na-t project and made that thread in hopes of that info being helpful to others.. :scratch: :

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1719332#post1719332

1 - 20 of 22 Posts