Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I haven't personally but I have a friend who snapped a shaft on one and he still hasn't figured out why. It was new and he is sponsored by them so they took care of it quick. Funny thing was he was complaing about precision turbos and then bang his died :)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a mysterious problem on one of my turbos on my mk4. The #1 turbo seams to going out, this is the 2nd time that turbo went out. the first from oil starvation from what I can see. It was over a year so turbonetics wouldnt take care of it under warranty, which I can see why. Then I orderd a new center section and then a week later it went. Not because of oil starvation but from a bent shaft. I dont see how it could of happend if that turbo was VFR ballanced a 75k rpm's. and they didnt see it. Anyhow They are shipping a new one out under warranty monday and they are even paying for the shipping back to me. I guess I will see how this one goes.

Lawrence

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
They suck. Avoid them. Customer service sucks as well as their products. Ola and crew got out and formed ITS.
I had bad seals in mine-failed under 500miles. Two friends with T04es had the same problem. Got it rebuilt by Cherry Turbo and its fine every since.

·
Registered
455 Posts
They are crappy turbos, I would go with a ITS. The only thing ITS has going bad for them is the dual ball bearing turbos.
-Daniel

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow. I thaught I was the only one having problems. Thanks for the info guys. Hope they come through this time with a good one.

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got the new center section back from warranty and the same damn thing, a bent shaft again. I only get on it a few times and now there is allot of shaft play. I guess third time maybe better.

lawrence

·
Registered
172 Posts
mpower said:
They are crappy turbos, I would go with a ITS. The only thing ITS has going bad for them is the dual ball bearing turbos.
-Daniel
whats wrong with the ITS dual bb turbos?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, from my experiences with Turbonetics I've seen:

1: Compressor wheel retaining nut loose, eventually coming off and damaging the compressor

2: Leaking piston ring (shaft seal on turbine side). I had one customer send it to them 3 times and it still leaked every time, which brings me to believe they didn't do anything. Customer made sure there were no problems with the feed/return being too small or too big.

3: Dragging, where the turbo will not spin unless the RPM's were raised over 3000rpm.

The only nice thing about Turbonetics is that they have a 1 Year no questions asked warranty, but once they perform that warranty, the warranty then turns into (i believe) a 60 day warranty. #2 seems to be the most common problem.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, sending the turbo out for the 2nd warranty. Lets see what they say.
Its kinda weird how I am getting 2 turbos in a row that have bent shafts. I think I will mark this one and see if they send me a new shaft. I also wrote them a letter enclosed in the box telling them the SHAFT IS BENT.
Lawrence

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I've had 0 problems with mine. From new to rebuilt. I'm not saying they're the best but I will say the voice of complaints come up more often than the good stories because people are lazy while the others are quick to voice from frustration. I was too lazy to post my positive feedback when I first saw the thread.

Service and parts worked out well for me.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am very fustrated, I just want a good turbo. It sucks being out of a turbo for 2-3 weeks. I hope they can come through for me. I even went and switched postitions of the turbos. Took the #2 and put it in #1 position, when I get the turbo back I will run it and see what happens.

Lawrence

1 - 15 of 15 Posts